CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1064046
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064046 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 23:23:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Stainton By Langworth
National Grid Reference:
TF 06192 77560

Details

TF 07 NE STAINTON BY LANGWORTH CHURCH LANE

6/37 Church of 30.11.66 St.John the Baptist

II

Parish church. 1795 but incorporating C14 materails, with restoration of 1885. Squared coursed limestone rubble with liemstone ashlar and sandstone ashlar dressings, and slate roofs with raised stone coped gables and kneelers, lead dressings. Western tower, nave and chancel. Tower of 2 storeys having plinth, first floor band and corbelled out eaves, pyramidal roof. Western double doors with sandstone architrave and cornice, wrought iron boot scrapers to either side. Above a plain rectangular labelled tablet with above a louvred circular light to bell chamber. Side walls of nave have pairs of large semi- circular headed windows, divided into 12 panes by wooden glazing bars. East window of chancel is similar but contains an 1885 leaded and stained glass window. Interior: a tower vestibule from which nave is entered via double panelled doors retaining original fastening. The double chamfered chancel arch incorporates reused C14 engaged octagonal responds, the C14 floriate capitals of which were recut in 1795. To either side of the arch are painted commandment panels. In the chancel south wall a probably repositioned cusped piscina, with above and to the right the elaborately cusped and pierced arches of a C14 sedilia, also repositioned, however the moulded reveals of the opening are probably in situ. The nave and chancel both have plaster cornices. The altar has fluted legs and an early C20 painted frontal. At the west end is a C18 panel fronted gallery supported on square Doric columns. The matching pews and pulpit were altered in the C19 when the doors were removed. The large C14 octagonal font bowl has ball flowers to the underside, the stem is missing and it now rests on its base. In the sanctuary is a C17 chair with carved back and arms. In the north wall is an alabaster memorial in the classical taste dated 1619 to members of the Sandon family of Reasby Hall, depicting 3 kneeling figures in arcades with above an achievement of arms and below a rectangular inscribed panel. All vertical members bear guilloche decoration and beneath is a decorative panel bearing memento mori, including a bone, scythe and spade.

Listing NGR: TF0619277560

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
197161
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/06118/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].