PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1064120

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, RISEHOLME LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064120 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 14:48:58.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, RISEHOLME LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Riseholme

National Grid Reference: SK 98364 75665

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 97 NE RISEHOLME RISEHOLME LANE

4/59 Parish Church of 30.11.66 St. Mary

G.V. II*

Parish church. 1850. By S.S. Teulon. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, decorative plain tiled roof with raised stone coped gables. Nave with western bellcote, south porch, vestry and chancel. The fenestration is in a Victorian curvilinear decorated style. The west end has a slightly projecting bay, marked by stepped buttresses, which rises to form a gabled bellcote. The west window is of 4 lights and above is a plain opening with cusped head. The north nave wall has stepped gabled buttresses, at the west end is a single light window and to the east are 3 windows of 2 lights. The projecting vestry at the east end has angle buttresses and an off centre pointed and moulded headed door with to west a cusped headed light and above a bulbous triangular window containing mouchettes. To the chancel north wall is a 2 light window and at the east end is a large 5 light window. Beneath is a foundation stone laid by John Kaye, Bishop of Lincoln, of 1850. Chancel south wall has one 2 light and a 3 light window. The nave south wall matches that to the north but has a projecting gabled porch with a pointed moulded outer arch with drip moulded label stops and cusping to the underside of the head. There are single bulbous triangular lights to the side walls and the inner arch is also pointed and moulded, without capitals. The planked doors have original foliate decorative ironwork. Interior. At the west end the window has a larger rear arch with nook shafts. The chancel arch is in a C13 style with filleted responds, annular capitals and moulded pointed head. To left is a trefoil headed light to vestry. The nave has a fine hammer beam roof with moulded principals and corbels having ball flower ornament. To vestry, north side of chancel, is a moulded archway. The east window has rear arch with nook shafts. The chancel has arch braced roof with moulded principals and corbels. All fittings, including the handsome octagonal font and the stained glass in the chancel are c.1850. In the chancel is a fine encaustic tiled floor with tiled inscriptions to the risers of the chancel and sanctuary step. This church was founded by Bishop John Kaye D.D. of Lincoln.

Listing NGR: SK9836475665

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 196930

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing