CHURCH OF ST EDWARD THE CONFESSOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1064127
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Jun-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDWARD THE CONFESSOR, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDWARD THE CONFESSOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064127.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:10:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDWARD THE CONFESSOR, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Sudbrooke
National Grid Reference:
TF 03104 76090

Details

TF 07 NW SUDBROOKE CHURCH LANE

5/75 Church of St. Edward the 30.11.66 Confessor (formerly listed as Church of St Edward) G.V. II*

Parish church. 1860 by John Dobson of Newcastle. Squared limestone rubble with ashlar dressings and plain tiled roofs, having raised stone coped gables. Nave with western bellcote, chancel with apsidal sanctuary, south porch and north vestry. The whole church is built in the Norman Revival Style with plinth, string course and corbel table. The west end has 2 corner buttresses and a central stepped one which is flanked by single windows, above are single flanking circular windows. Above the buttress is a semi-circular headed niche. The bellcote to gable has a single semi-circular headed bell chamber with nook shafts. The north nave wall has 3 windows and the chancel has 2, all resting on sill bands. The apse has wall shafts, cable moulded sill band and figured corbel table. The 3 windows have carved nook shafts and heads. The chancel has 2 windows with nook shafts having scalloped capitals. The nave has 2 windows. All nave windows are semi-circular headed with hood moulds and figured label stops. The south porch doorway has 2 orders, one of beak heads and dogtooth hood mould. The pairs of nook shafts have cushioned and leafed capitals, alternating. The planked door has decorative ironwork hinges. Interior. At the west end a central. buttress rises full height and has a semi-circular headed niche at its base for bell tolling. The south door has a roll moulded rear arch to the vanished inner door. The windows have ashlar rear arches. The nave roof is crown post type, supported on stone corbels. The chancel arch is of 3 orders with half engaged shafts, the scalloped capitals contain the symbols of the evangelist on the west side. Above is a half roll, castellation, a further roll and a dogtoothed hood mould. The imposts of the arch run back to either side to form string courses. The sanctuary arch also of 3 orders though with single half engaged shafts with conceptual foliage capitals has above a cable moulding, a chevron, a roll and pelleted roundels. In the sanctuary a hemispherical vault supported on 5 hobnail roll moulded ribs which meet a human head vaulting boss, they spring from half round wall shafts with foliate capitals. Stained glass to sanctuary and chancel. Font and pulpit are also in Norman Revival style, the latter with blank intersecting arcading. In the chancel an early C13 capital to drum pier with stiff leaf foliage. The brass lectern is dated 1891. At the west end are 2 limestone slabs, one to Jayne Beresford d.1678 and Arabella Beresford d.1720, and a carved coat of arms. Over the south door a brass plaque recording the building of the church in 1860.

Listing NGR: TF0310476090

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196946
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07753/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger H Mockford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].