Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064139.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2021 at 03:30:05.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 02476 79420



5/4 Church of St.Chad 30.11.66 G.V. I

Parish church. Early C13, late C13, C14, 1856 restoration, 1902 organ chamber and vestry added, 1914 south porch added. Coursed limestone rubble with slate roofs having stone coped gables. Western tower,clerestoried nave, 2 aisles, chancel, south porch, north vestry. The C13 unbuttressed tower has 3 stages with 2 string courses and a battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles. To each stage and side are single lancets and to the belfry stage are paired lancets. The north wall of the north aisle has a C14 ogee headed doorway flanked by single 2 light windows with cusped ogee heads and segmental hood moulds. Further east is a similar 4 light window. The 1902 vestry has a 2 light window and door and in the east wall a cusped 2 light window. The east wall of the chancel has a 3 light C19 window with panel tracery. The south wall has 2 and 3 light windows in C14 style. In the south aisle are 2 three light C14 windows with flat heads and a further similar window west of the porch. The clerestorey on both sides has 3 C19 paired lights under flat hood moulds. The south porch of 1914 has a cusped outer arch surmounted by a niche containing a carving of St. Chad, with side benches and quatrefoil side lights. The inner doorway is C13 with single chamfer, hood mould, label stops one ammonite and one human head. Interior. The 3 bay early C13 north and south arcades have quatreroil piers with slender shafts at the diagonals, keeled responds, quatrefoil capitals, double chamfered arches, hood moulds and human head label stops. The south arcade has some nail head decoration. The tower arch has octagonal imposts and capitals, a double chamfered arch with hood mould and ammonite label stops. The chancel arch also has keeled responds, annular capitals and double chamfered arch. At the west end of the south aisle is a small glazed cupboard containing a small leather medieval chalice case. In the chancel north wall is a C19 door to the vestry and a triangular headed aumbry with original C17 doors and decorative ironwork hinges. At the east end of the chancel are 2 repositioned carved C13 statue brackets supported on humanheads. The C19 chancel roof is painted. All fittings are C19 or C20, including the chancel screen of 1912. The C15 octagonal font has fleurons and seated figures of saints in niches to both pedestal and bowl. In the north aisle is C20 stained glass depicting St.Chad. In the chancel south wall is a monument to Robert Grantham d.1541, restored 1857. The figure of the deceased is kneeling before a book, flanker by Doric columns supporting an entablature, above which is an inscription surmounted by oval armorial panels.

Listing NGR: TF0247379420


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08279/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Sowray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].