Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064162.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:37:46.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 87147 91657



9/10 Church of 15.12.64 St. Lawrence

G.V. I

Parish Church. Cll, C12, C13, C14, C15, 1882 restoration by Bodley and Garner. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar dressings, lead roofs. Western tower, nave with clerestorey north and south aisles, south porch, chancel, north transept, vestry. 3 stage plain unbuttressed square tower with offset to belfry stage. Basal plinth, lancet in ground floor to west, square headed window in first floor, and in belfry stage paired belfry lights under round arches with monolithic throughstones and midwall shafts having simple volute capitals. C19 embattled top with C15 water chutes. North aisle has a single restored lancet in the west wall. North wall of aisle has 2 C15 2 light windows with ogee heads, panel tracery and hood moulds. Near the west end is a blocked doorway with flat lintel. North clerestorey of 4 paired C15 trefoil ogee lights under square hood moulds under a plain parapet with 3 bold gargoyles above. North transept west wall has single C19 window. Transept north wall has stepped angle buttresses and a restored 3 light C14 debased curvilinear window with 3 trefoil lights surmounted by a trilobe set in a 2 centred arch with hood mould and human head label stops. To north transept east wall a single 3 light C15 window with cusped lights, embattled panel tracery, 3 centred low head with human head stops. 1882 vestry in angle between transept and chancel. East wall has a 3 light C19 window, chancel south wall has a C13 priest's door and 2 tall lancets, all with simple chamfered hood moulds. South aisle east wall has C19 3 light window and in the south wall are 3 C19 copies of 2 light C15 windows. The clerestorey matches that on the north. The aisle west wall has a single C13 lancet. The south porch dates from 1882 and is in C13 style with octagonal jambs to moulded 2 centred arch and 2 pierced side lights. The C19 inner doorway is in Norman style with nook shafts, 2 orders of dog tooth moulding and a moulded hood mould. Interior; the nave has a north arcade of 3 bays, the 2 westerly bays are late C12 with circular pillar and responds having stiff leaf volute capitals, square abaci and double stepped chamfered orders with hood mould and beast and human head label stops. The easterly arch is early C13 with circular responds and double chamfered arch. The south arcade has 3 bays of C13 work, the westerly pair have octagonal pillar and responds, stiff leaf capitals and double chamfered arches with human head label stops. The easterly double chamfered arch has keeled responds and circular abaci. The eastern arches in both arcades are separated from the others by short sections of walling. In the south side of the southern pier the western jamb of an earlier window can be seen. The massive tower arch has plain reveals, chamfered imposts, and 2 double orders of roll moulding, with a square section hood mould to its round head. Above is a blocked doorway with inserted quatrefoil. To the east of the south door is a holy water stoup and at the east end of the south aisle a C19 piscina. The C13 double chamfered arch dying to its reveals opens into the north transept, from which a C19 doorway opens into the vestry. To the north and south side of the chancel are single large late C13 double chamfered arches, that on the north having conceptual foliage on the capitals, both having octagonal responds. The north arch cuts through the site of an earlier C13 lancet. On this side is a late C13 doorway with hood mould and ammonite label stops with to the east a moulded segmental headed C14 Easter sepulchre with central, presumably repositioned, clerical head. There are 5 steps up to the altar, probably reflecting C14 ritual arrangement. Nave, north transept and chancel roofs are of tie beam construction from 1882 and are elaborately carved and painted. Some of the corbels are C15 work. Fittings; the carved screen base and misericord seats at the west end of the chancel date from C15 and the turned baluster altar rails are C18. The C13 font is a circular blank arcaded bowl resting on an octagonal base with detached round shafts decorated with conceptual foliage sprigs and heads. All other fittings, including candelabrum, rood, side screens, reredos and elaborately decorated organ are of the 1882 restoration. Monuments; in the chancel is a flat purbeck marble slab with a matrix for a C15 Lombardic inscription round the outer edge. In the north wall is a C17 brass to Clifford and an unusual painted metal panel dated 1631 with decorated borders and shield. A marble wall tablet in Greek taste to Sir John Beckett d.1847 is grouped with 3 other C19 Beckett memorials in the chancel.

Listing NGR: SK8715191661


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/05899/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Godson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].