CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1064193
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064193 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 06:50:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Saxby
National Grid Reference:
TF 00452 86127

Details

TF 08 NW SAXBY MAIN STREET (South side) 6/37 Church of St.Helen 30.11.66 I

Former mortuary chapel now parish church. 1775. Red brick with ashlar dressings, render, timber, lead roofs. In form of small classical temple; rectangular on plan, with pedimented distyle in antis portico, surmounted by a western classical bellcote; apsidal east end. The western portico is reached up 3 steps and has Tuscan pit.jars supporting a plain frieze and pediment. The side walls of the portico are lit by glazed occuli with raised keystones. The 6 panelled west door, into the nave, has a moulded stone architrave with restrained moulded overdoor, and is flanked by single hemispherically headed niches with stone architraves and raised keyblocks. The floor is of diamond stone flags. The rendered bellcote has angle Ionic timber pilasters which rise to a dentillated eaves cornice surmounted by a shaped lead roof with weather vane at apex. It has a single glazing bar light with semi-circular head and rusticated wooden surround to each face. Both nave side walls have ashlar plinth, cornice, angle. pilasters and 2 windows with semi-circular heads, leaded lights, ashlar architraves, imposts and keyblocks. The sills are supported on pairs of moulded brackets. The apsidal east end has a blocked opening matching those to the sides. Interior: the west door has a wooden architrave with overdoor cornice supported on scrolled brackets. The side walls have wooden panelling to dado height. The walls above are divided into panels by plain Ionic plaster pilasters which support a plain frieze and dentillated cornice. The panels are outlined with moulding. The apse has moulded imposts, plaster architraves and a raised voluted keystone. The archivolt has blank panels; the intrados of the hemispherically headed apse is decorated with plaster diapers containing bas relief flowers with scrolly petals. The C18 panelled pews and vestry screen, readers desk and pulpit have matching moulding and Ionic pilasters. The facetted pulpit has panels decorated with intarsia stars. Altar rails and table incorporate delicate turned spindles. There are 2 light fittings of wrought iron and a circular candelabra. At the west end are 2 hatchments to the Earls of Scarborough. The stained glass in the nave is dated 1869. Monuments consist of 4 wall plaques to the Earls of Scarborough, for whom the chapel was built, in white marble and in Greek taste, 1832-1856.

Listing NGR: TF0056486298

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196793
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08279/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Sowray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].