RED HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1064203
Date first listed:
25-May-1950
Statutory Address:
RED HOUSE, RED HOUSE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RED HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064203 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 12:37:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
RED HOUSE, RED HOUSE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Bexley (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 48106 75093

Details

RED HOUSE LANE 1. 5005 Bexleyheath Red House TQ 4875 8/6 25.5.50 GV 2. 1859. By Philip Webb (his first commission) for William Morris, who lived here until 1864. Moderately sized L-shaped building, of 2 storeys. Picturesque design in the simplified Gothic style of Street and Butterfield's domestic work. Red brick, with hipped tiled roof. Gabled, 2 storeyed, porch to north front. Oriel to west lighting main room on first floor. Staircase tower in angle, with pointed roof and finials. Sliding sash windows, singly and in pairs, with cambered heads beneath relieving arches. Casements with leaded lights of circular form to upper floor. Interior almost unaltered. Important fixed cupboards, settle and other furnishings with some painted decoration by Burne-Jones and others.

Listing NGR: TQ4810675093

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
198714
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15780/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard M. Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].