This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WORKSHOP RANGE TO SOUTH EAST OF MAIN ENGINE HOUSE CROSSNESS PUMPING STATION

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WORKSHOP RANGE TO SOUTH EAST OF MAIN ENGINE HOUSE CROSSNESS PUMPING STATION

List entry Number: 1064216

Location

WORKSHOP RANGE TO SOUTH EAST OF MAIN ENGINE HOUSE CROSSNESS PUMPING STATION, BELVEDERE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Bexley

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1990

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 198747

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BELVEDERE ROAD TQ 48 SE BELVEDERE 1/2 Workshop range to SE of main engine house (qv) Crossness Pumping Station II GV Workshop. Built 1862-5 by Contractor William Webster to designs of Sir Joseph Bazalgette and Charles Henry Driver, Flemish bond yellow brick with gauged red brick dressings and Portland stone to kneelers and buttresses; gabled slate roof with glazed rooflights. Rectangular plan. Each 3-bay gable end has stone-coped gable with moulded kneelers: plank double doors set in semi-circular arched architrave with raised imposts and dog-tooth hood mould set within similar third recessed arch flanked by recessed panels; doorway flanked by similar blind arches set in square-headed recessed bay with carved stone corbels to arcaded frieze and dentilled dog-tooth cornice. North wall of 12 bays has similar blind arches set in similar square-headed recessed bays, and 4-bay lean-to with moulded stone cornice and semi-circular arched east doorway with fanlight. South wall of 24 bays has offset buttresses dividing recessed bays each of which has similar frieze and cornice. Interior: 12-bay wrought-iron roof. One of a pair of workshops facing south elevation of the boiler house of Bazalgette's main engine house of 1862-5. (Contract drawings in GLRO: MBW 2511)

Listing NGR: TQ4852881013

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 48528 81013

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064216 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 09:43:13.

End of official listing