CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1064299
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064299.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:54:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Scopwick
National Grid Reference:
TF 06985 58056

Details

SCOPWICK MAIN STREET: SCOPWICK TF 05 NE (north side) 5/46 Church of The Holy Cross 1.2.67 - II*

Parish Church. C12, C13, C14, C17 restored 1852 and 1884. Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with ashlar coped gables with kneelers and cross finials. High chamfered plinth, flush ashlar quoins and chamfered eaves cornice. West tower, nave with aisles and south porch, chancel with north vestry. West tower 3-stage with moulded and chamfered plinth, second stage band, and flat set-back buttresses with set-offs. West side has a blocked doorway with a small chamfered lancet above, the third stage has a cross mullion bell opening with side shafts. South side has a similar bell opening and below a C19 clock face. East side has another bell opening with a single mullion and chevron decorated jambs. North side has a single slit lancet, and a cross mullion bell-opening above. The tower is topped with a plain solid stone balustrade. North aisle, west wall is blank, the north wall has 2 pairs of C19 lancets in chamfered surrounds with hoodmoulds and label stops. The north vestry has a hipped slate roof with a single 2-light chamfered mullionwindow and a doorway with plank door in chamfered surround with a relieving arch above, plus to the east another 2-light chamfered mullion window. The chancel east wall has a pointed 3-light window in a moulded chamfered surround with reticulated tracery and a hoodmould with label stops. The south wall has a 2-light and a 3-light flat headed windows in chamfered surrounds with ornate panel tracery. The south aisle has a single pointed lancet to the-east in a chamfered surround with hoodmould, to the south are 2 pairs of similar lancets. The gabled south porch has diagonal buttress with set-offs, and a shallow pointed arched opening, in a moulded chamfered surround with hoodmould and label stops, inside are stone benches and a C19 wooden roof. The doorway has a narrow pointed double arched surround with a C19 panel door, the inner arch is chamfered, the outer arch is decorated with a keeled moulding, a band of dogtooth and a hoodmould with label stops, both arches have a plain impost band. The south aisle west wall has a pair of chamfered lancets. Interior: 3 bay nave arcades with double chamfered arches, that to the north with a single octagonal pier and respond plus a single 4 keeled shaft compound pier and respond, that to the south has 2 compound piers with 4 ringed shafts and keeled responds, all with moulded capitals and bases. Triple chamfered tower arch. Double chamfered chancel arch with keeled responds and stiff leaf capitals. Remains of ornate C14 niche to south of chancel arch with crocketed gable and pinnacles. C13 octagonal stone font. C13 tomb with defaced effigy of a knight. C19 wooden roofs. C19 wooden pews and choir stalls. C19 stone pulpit. C20 reredos and altar rail. Wall tablet in north aisle to Wm Pear 1856 with pilaster surround.

Listing NGR: TF0698558056

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
358317
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05651/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terence G. Onyon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].