OLD SCHOOL BUILDING AT COWLEYS SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1064457
Date first listed:
25-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
13-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
OLD SCHOOL BUILDING AT COWLEYS SCHOOL, SCHOOL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD SCHOOL BUILDING AT COWLEYS SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064457 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:51:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD SCHOOL BUILDING AT COWLEYS SCHOOL, SCHOOL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Holland (District Authority)
Parish:
Donington
National Grid Reference:
TF 21203 35712

Details

DONINGTON SCHOOL LANE TF 23 NW (north side) 2/30 Old School Building 25.10.51 at Cowleys School (formerly listed as Donington Cowley's Secondary School) ) G.V. II School. Founded by Thomas Cowley in 1719, partly rebuilt after a fire in 1812, altered C19 and C20. Red brown brick in English bond, ashlar and stucco dressings. Machine plain tiled roof with reused stone coped gables and decorative knops. Wooden bellcote with shaped lead roof. To the rear a tall wall stack. 2 storey, 6 bay front with ashlar plinth, first floor band and quoins. Timber dentillated eaves cornice. Central C19 lead roofed stucco porch with angle pilasters, plain frieze, moulded cornice to segmental pediment. Double half glazed doors with bordered lights. To left 3 and to right 2 large cross mullioned windows. To right a doorway with moulded ashlar surround and cornice, beyond a narrow C19 fixed light. To first floor are 6 two light casement windows. All windows have flat splayed brick arched heads with keyblocks and moulded ashlar cills. Above the door a C18 oval sundial, with inscription above. Beneath it a tablet records the foundation of the school by T. Cowley in 1719 and its rebuilding in AD 1812. On the quoins are many graffiti inscriptions, including a footprint dated 1795.

Listing NGR: TF2120335712

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
198146
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12909/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].