Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064486.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Aug-2020 at 10:13:54.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Holland (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 35910 24789


HOLBEACH CHURCH STREET TF 3424-3524 (east side)

15/59 Church of All Saints 30.6.66 G.V. I

Parish church. c.1340-c.1380, c. 1400, early C15, early C18, restored 1867. Limestone ashlar, some limestone rubble. Lead roofs with stone coped east gable with cross finial. West tower with spire, nave with north and south aisles and north and south porches, chancel. 2 stage west tower of c.1340 remodelled in early C15 with moulded plinth with multi-stage buttresses; stair turret in south-west buttress, with pointed doorway with plank door and 6 slit lights. Shallow gabled west porch with pointed inner and outer doorways, slender flanking shafts, cusped panelled vault, hood mould with head label stops and plank door. Pointed C15 west window above with 5 pointed lights, unusual panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Similar larger windows on north and south sides. Clock above on south side. Small pointed, cusped window on north side. Bell openings on all 4 sides each with a pointed, richly moulded head, 2 ogee headed lights, cusped tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Moulded eaves above with projecting gargoyles and battlements. Recessed broached octagonal spire with 4 tiers of ornate lucarnes on alternating sides; finial. North aisle of c.1340 with moulded plinth and regularly placed 2 stage buttresses. Pointed west window with 3 ogee headed lights, flowing tracery, hood mould and head label stops. C14 inscribed tomb slab below. North side with single window to right of porch, and 3 windows to the left, all with pointed heads, 3 ogee headed cusped lights, flowing tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Similar window in east end of aisle. Porch of c.1700, re-using C14 fragments possibly from Moulton Castle. Flattened triangular headed doorway with bold cusping, triple responds and hood mould; flanked by round, battlemented turrets each with small, single, ogee headed cusped lights. Single C18 semi-circular headed windows over the doorway and on west side. Porch interior with flanking stone benches. North-east corner doorway with ogee head, chamfered surround and traceried plank door. Roll moulded doorway above, originally giving access to a parvise, the floor of which is now gone, leaving only the corbels. C14 inner doorway of porch with richly moulded pointed head, slender jambs with crenellated capitals, hood mould, head label stops and plank door. Blocked triangular opening above. Moulded eaves run along north aisle with grotesque heads and battlements. Clerestory of c.1380 with 14 pointed windows, each with 2 ogee headed lights and hood mould. Moulded eaves and battlements above. East gable with gabled bellcote with pointed opening. North side of chancel with 4 stage buttresses with ornate gablets. Large pointed window to the west with 3 pointed, cusped lights, flowing tracery and hood mould. Smaller pointed window to east, with 2 pointed lights which flank a single ogee headed light, flowing tracery and hood mould. East end with a large pointed window with 3 pointed, cusped lights, flowing tracery and hood mould. South side of chancel with a pointed window to the east, with 2 pointed, cusped lights flanking a single ogee headed light; flowing tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Pedimented monument to left with ornate eared architrace and urn, to John March, died 1736. Doorway to the left with a pointed head, continuously moulded surrounds, hood mould, head label stops and plank door. A window, similar to the other south chancel window, to the left. South aisle of nave of c.1340 with pointed east window, with single pointed lights flanking an ogee headed light, flowing tracery, hood mould and head label stops. South side with regularly placed 2 stage buttresses with ornate gablets which alternate with 5 pointed windows, each with 3 ogee headed lights, flowing tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Gabled C14 porch to left with very tall south doorway rising up into the gable, with pointed, moulded head, triple filleted jambs, hood mould and head label stops. Tall gabled bellcote with pointed bell opening. Porch interior with flanking stone benches; south doorway with pointed moulded head, slender responds, hood mould and head label stops. C14 door with reticulated tracery. Niche above doorway with damaged head and inner rib vaulting. Pointed window to west of porch and in west end of south aisle, both with 3 ogee headed lights, flowing tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Clerestory identical to that on the north side. Interior tower arch of c.1330, with pointed head of 3 filleted orders and continuously roll and hollow moulded responds. Tower with tierceron-star vault and central oculus. 7 bay north and south arcades of c.1350 with pointed heads of 2 moulded orders with broad fillets; quatrefoil piers and triple responds with continuous roll and hollow mouldings with broad fillets and polygonal capitals. North aisle with shallow pointed, chamfered tomb niche with plain triangular stops. Moulded sill band runs round nave aisles. Chancel arch of c.1360 with pointed head, continuously moulded surround and hood mould. to south is a small doorway originally leading to rood loft, with panelled door. Chancel with blocked south doorway with four centred head and continuously moulded surround. Ornate C19 sedilia and piscina in a C14 style. Ornate C19 reredos. C19 communion rail, choir stalls, lecturns, pews, pulpit and roofs, the nave roof supported on C14 stone corbel heads. Mid C14 octagonal font with tall traceried pedestal and each side of the bowl with crude figure holding emblem of the Passion. Table tomb to Sir Humphrey Littlebury of Holbeach Hurn, died c.1380; clad in full armour with his head resting on his mailed helm containing sleeping head; lion at feet; sword and shield with lions rampant. Tomb itself decorated by ornate ogee headed cusped openings with shields in spandrels and with upper bands of foliate motifs and grotesque heads. Early C15 brass to a knight without a head. Brass to Joan Welby, died 1488, on a tomb chest. Monuments include: white and grey marble with urn, festoons and pediment to Jonathon Watson, died 1773; grey marble with coat of arms in cartouche to Adlard Squire Stukely, died 1768; cream marble to Sarah Stukely, died 1730; stone cartouche, name illegible, died 1761; marble by Henson of Spalding, with moulded architrave and pile of books on entablature, to Philip Ashley, died 1794; stone with broken pediment with urn and ornate apron, to Sigismund Richardson, died 1747; black and white marble with pediment, fluted doric pilasters, apron with cherubs, cartouche, to Samuel Richardson, died 1736; 2 ornate early C18 marble monuments with ionic pilasters, broken segmental pediment, cartouche, crests, cherubs, names and exact dates illegible; white marble cartouches to Jane Davey, died 1755; white and orange-grey streaked marble to Elizabeth Watson, died 1768; white marble with fluted corinthian pilasters, cherubs an apron, cartouche, to James Breckenock, died 1740. Plus several early C19 monuments of various designs. 2 illegible C17 gravestones and several C18 and C19 gravestones.

Listing NGR: TF3590824792


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].