This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SERPENTINE HOUSE WITH ATTACHED GARDEN WALL AND HANDPUMP

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SERPENTINE HOUSE WITH ATTACHED GARDEN WALL AND HANDPUMP

List entry Number: 1064528

Location

SERPENTINE HOUSE WITH ATTACHED GARDEN WALL AND HANDPUMP, BARRINGTON GATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Holbeach

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Jun-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Jun-1976

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 198015

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOLBEACH BARRINGTON GATE TF 3424-3524 (west side) TF 3624-3524 15/52 Serpentine House 16/52 with attached garden wall and handpump 16.6.76 II

House. 1831, enlarged c.1860. Red brick with some ashlar dressings. Hipped slate roofs with 4 lateral stacks. 2 storeys with basement, 4 bay east front with the 2 right hand bays of 1831, being lower and set back slightly. Basement with 3 glazing bar sashes to the left and a single 3 light glazing bar casement to right. 4 glazing bar sashes on both the floors above, those in the 2 right hand bays being smaller. All the windows with flush wedge stone lintels. Plaque between the 2 top floor right hand bays inscribed: 'AH 1831'. Extensions of c.1860 to south. North return wall with a flight of curved ashlar steps with rusticated front wall, curved stone balusters with square piers and ball finials on inner wall. Steps lead up to open doric porch with entablature and cornice with inner reveal and panelled door. Partially glazed door to left with flush wedge ashlar lintel and raised keystone. Small glazing bar casement to right. Bay to the right projects slightly and contains semi-circular headed arch. Glazing bar sash above with a semi-circular headed glazing bar sash above the porch, with margin lights. Adjoining red brick garden wall to the right broken by semi-circular headed archway with woad and cast iron painted hand pump, beyond.

Listing NGR: TF3598724503

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 35987 24503

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064528 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 02:47:41.

End of official listing