CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1064747

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1950

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, BISHOPSGATE EC2

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064747 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 01:13:22.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, BISHOPSGATE EC2

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City and County of the City of London (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 33206 81500

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BISHOPSGATE EC2 1.5002 (West Side) Church of St Botolph TQ 3381 NW 5/57 TQ 3381 SW 11/57 4.1.50.

II* 2. 1725-9, altered considerably. Aisled and galleried nave with tower over square chancel, flanked by lobbies. East elevation (to Bishopsgate) of Portland stone with arched window framed by paired Doric pilasters supporting pediment. Corniced doors on either side connected to windows above. Circular openings over and cornice topped by balustrade. Tower rises in 3 stages with pilasters, clock etc and is topped by 4 urns arid a circular lantern, within a balustrade, capped with ogee dome and carved finial. Other elevations of red brick and Portland stone, altered in C19. Nave is lower than east end with 2 tiers of windows, segmentally arched below and round-arched above. Small cornice and parapet. C19 doorway to north and south, latter with enrichment. Centre of west end set forward with flanking consoles and-Venetian window. Corinthian colonnade on pedestals to interior, supporting architrave and panelled barrel vault with enrichment. Coved ceiling to aisles. Panelled front to gallery which is supported on pair of Ionic columns and piers at west end and has 2 vestries below. Arch to groin-vaulted chancel with enriched panels to intrados. Pulpit and organ case (divided into 2) apparently early C18.Circular lantern added to centre of nave.

Listing NGR: TQ3320481501

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 199309

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing