Church of St Peter le Poer


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter le Poer, Albion Avenue
Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter le Poer, Colney Hatch Lane


Ordnance survey map of Church of St Peter le Poer
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064763.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:15:40.


Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter le Poer, Albion Avenue
Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter le Poer, Colney Hatch Lane

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
Barnet (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28317 90880


TQ29 SE 6/100 COLNEY HATCH LANE (West Side) and Albion Avenue (North Side) Church of St Peter le Poer

II Church 1908-1909. By W.D Caröe. Red brick in English band with tile-on-edge arches, and stone dressings; plain tile roof. Five bay aisled nave with west basement and south porch; south transept; two bay chancel with one bay Lady Chapel on south and vestry on north; gabled west tower. Chamfered plinth. Windows have stone tracery with cusped lights and leaded glazing with iron stanchions and saddle-bars.

Nave: blind four-light chamfered mullion basement windows to west bays; tile offsets to buttresses between bays and below two-light windows which are set within segmental-arched recesses. Porch at east end has corner buttresses; segmental archway to recessed entrance with splayed reveals and nail-studded panelled double door; peaked gable. North aisle, buttressed as before, has three-light windows. West end of aisles each have a doorway with window above (that to north aisle blocked). Transept: a three-light four-centred-arched window with Perpendicular-style tracery.

Chancel: buttress between transept and Lady Chapel which as a three-light window and canted east end, corbelled below gable, with two-light window. Chancel east window of seven lights, triangular headed, with foundation stone below. On north side a peaked-gabled porch with inner, nail-studded, panelled, doors.

Tower: of three storeys with belfry on west side has end and broad central buttresses, the latter with a one-light and two-light window. Segmental arched openings to two lower storeys comprising a bricked-up window and two-light window to lower storey; offset below next storey which has two 2x6-light windows, the central lights blind (of stone); modillion band below upper storey which has blind pointed-arched arcade with inter-locked arches and capitals to piers. Tile hung gable with wooden belfry opening of two cusped, louvered lights; slender ridge spire with weathervane. East gable similar. South side has pent porch with one-light window above, and belfry dormer as before; similar dormer to north side.

Interior: nave has pointed-arched stone arcades, gallery at west end on stone columns, and pointed-arched boarded vault with moulded ribs. Masonry vault to chancel. C18 panelled pulpit from former Church of St Peter le Poer, Broad Street, the City, built 1788-1792 (demolished 1908).

Listing NGR: TQ2831790880


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10650/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adam Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].