FORMER ST PETER'S SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1064944
Date first listed:
27-Jan-1981
Date of most recent amendment:
13-Sep-1993
Statutory Address:
FORMER ST PETER'S SCHOOL, 38, ST OSWALD'S PLACE SE11

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER ST PETER'S SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064944 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 11:00:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER ST PETER'S SCHOOL, 38, ST OSWALD'S PLACE SE11

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Lambeth (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30726 78133

Details

In the entry for:

ST OSWALD'S PLACE SE11 1. 5023

TQ 3078 4/494 27.1.81 St Peter's School

II GV

the address shall be amended to read "no. 38 (former St Peter's Schools)", the Grade shall be amended to Grade II* (star) and the description shall be amended to read as follows:

1860-1, by J L Pearson. Two storeys, of stock brick with bands and dressings of red brick and Bath stone. Tiled roofs. Irregular composition in picturesque Gothic style, with steeply pitched roofs and tall chimneys. Mullioned windows, some with pointed or cusped lights. South end consists of former master's house with half-hipped gable end. Former school to north of entrance arch groups with house and east end of St Peter's Church to form irregular court. Entrance to school on west side of court below a pyramidal tower. Some later alterations to fenestration on ground floor, north side of court. North of the building, the former art school at nos. 34-36 (1860-1) and soup kitchen (1863-4), also by Pearson, still remain but in altered form and are not included in the listing. The foundation stone of the schools was laid by the Prince of Wales on 27 June 1860. " " Source: Athony Quiney, John Loughborough Pearson, 1979, pp 64-7, 260.

------------------------------------

ST OSWALD'S PLACE SE11 1. 5023 St Peter's School TQ 3078 4/494 27.1.81

II GV

2. Circa 1864. By J L Pearson. Very irregular U-shaped two storey building of stock brick with bands and dressings of red brick and stone. Very steeply pitched slated roofs with fancy ridge tiles. Projecting chimney breasts breaking eaves with tall shafts soaring up beyond roof ridge. Most windows grouped in twos and fours, with stone heads and cusped, pointed or round lights, some with pierced trefoils. Projecting square tower in angle has pyramidal roof with dormer.

Listing NGR: TQ3072678133

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
204620
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Quiney, A, John Loughborough Pearson, (1979), 64-7, 260

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15479/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Mitzi de Margary. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].