THE VAT HOUSE, FLATS 1 TO 16

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1064949

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Nov-1999

Statutory Address: THE VAT HOUSE, FLATS 1 TO 16, REGENTS BRIDGE GARDENS

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE VAT HOUSE, FLATS 1 TO 16
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064949 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 16:32:00.

Location

Statutory Address: THE VAT HOUSE, FLATS 1 TO 16, REGENTS BRIDGE GARDENS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Lambeth (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30448 77472

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 3077 REGENTS BRIDGE GARDENS

963/7/850 The Vat House, flats 1-16

29-JUL-1977

GV II

Former vat house and clock tower, now flats. Circa 1810, clock tower altered 1916 after fire. Refurbished and converted to flats, 1980's. Formerly Beaufoy Vinegar Works. Stock brick with stone dressings. Flat roofs. Timber clock tower and cupola. Three storeys, seven uneven bays to side elevations. Ground and first floor segmental headed openings, inserted entrance in south elevation. Upper floor rectangular openings with flat lintels. Continous first floor storey band. Tall cylindrical chimney to north. Symmetrical west elevation in three bays, three storeys and attic. Central entrance rising through two storeys flanked by segmental headed openings. Similar openings to third storey. Attic storey small opening in recessed semicircular arch, set in tall brick parapet with flanking swept gables. Stone cornice and blocking course. Rectangular timber rusticated clock tower on shallow base, clock to each face. Above, timber cupola of eight Doric columns supporting copper dome. Bell inscribed THOMAS MEARS LONDON FOUNDER 1843. Former water tower to east. Five storeys in stock brick with iron plates of tank above. Segmental headed openings to five bay east elevation and three bay south elevation., some blank. Interior converted to flats.

Cherry and Pevsner, London, 2: South, 1983, p.370 Survey of London, Vol.XXVI, pt.II, 1956, p.69



Listing NGR: TQ3044877472

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 204630

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cherry, B, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994), 370
'Survey of London' in The Parish of St Mary Lambeth Part 2 Southern Area: Volume 26, (1956), 69

End of official listing