ENTRANCE BUILDING TO CLAPHAM COMMON TUBE STATION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1065005

Date first listed: 27-Mar-1981

Statutory Address: ENTRANCE BUILDING TO CLAPHAM COMMON TUBE STATION, THE PAVEMENT

Map

Ordnance survey map of ENTRANCE BUILDING TO CLAPHAM COMMON TUBE STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065005 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 18:02:54.

Location

Statutory Address: ENTRANCE BUILDING TO CLAPHAM COMMON TUBE STATION, THE PAVEMENT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Lambeth (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 29427 75291

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2975 THE PAVEMENT (South side), (Clapham Common), SW4 963/16/770 Entrance to Clapham Common 27.03.81 Tube Station

GV II

Underground Station. 1900, remodelled with new entrance in 1923-4 to the designs of Charles Holden. Small circular domed building with wings to north and south. Structural faience blocks with plinth and top moulding. Glazed dome with ball finial, with UndergrounD motif on frieze renewed in 1997. Circular UndergrounD signs on finials also restored in 1997. Interior is tiled in white with green panel borders. The ticket hall reached via stairs with central cast-iron balustrade; the foyers and access corridors also have white tiles with green panel borders renewed in the pattern of the original in 1997. It is one of only two surviving underground stations with a central island platform, the lines set in a single large hall.

Sources Laurence Menear, London's Underground Stations, 1985 David Lawrence, Underground Architecture, 1994



Listing NGR: TQ2942775291

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 204563

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lawrence, D, Underground London, (1994)
Menear, L, Londons Underground Stations, (1985)

End of official listing