KNELLER HALL AND BOUNDARY WALLS ROYAL MILITARY SCHOOL OF MUSIC

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1065380

Date first listed: 25-Jun-1983

Statutory Address: KNELLER HALL AND BOUNDARY WALLS, KNELLER ROAD

Statutory Address: ROYAL MILITARY SCHOOL OF MUSIC, KNELLER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of KNELLER HALL AND BOUNDARY WALLS
ROYAL MILITARY SCHOOL OF MUSIC
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065380 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 09:09:34.

Location

Statutory Address: KNELLER HALL AND BOUNDARY WALLS, KNELLER ROAD

Statutory Address: ROYAL MILITARY SCHOOL OF MUSIC, KNELLER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Richmond upon Thames (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 14685 74191

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5028 KNELLER ROAD

Royal Military School of Music, Kneller Hall and boundary walls TQ 1474 16/1

II

2. Originally built 1709-11 for Sir Godfrey Kneller, much altered and extended to its present elaborate neo-Jacobean form by George Mair, 1848. A particularly fine symmetrical main elevation (east front): Brick and stone, 3 storeys, 'E' plan form, the projecting centre containing the entrance, having a large square, 3-storey bay window, mullioned and transomed, crowned by an elaborate parapet with a coat of arms. The bay window projects beyond flanking square towers with flush bonded quoin stones, stone storey bands and slit windows, each tower crowned by a cornice and leaded ogee cupola. On either side, 3-bay recessed wings link the centre composition with 3-bay projecting wings, all with rusticated quoins, mullioned and transomed windows with architrave surrounds and pierced parapets, the centre bays of each wing front being enriched with superimposed orders of coupled pilasters and crowned by an elaborate open strapwork gable, crowned by a little pediment. The projecting wings are linked to form an entrance court behind an open arcaded stone screen with a Doric order with mannered details. Balustraded guard each arched opening with the exception of the centre bay which is treated as a projecting pediment entrance containing steps up toward the door in the centre of the darn range. Later additions to limited interest. Interior not seen, but stained glass in windows of central bay.

Listing NGR: TQ1468574191

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 205540

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing