This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1065496



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Wandsworth

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Oct-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Sep-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 207153

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TQ 27 SE 1207-/4/8

TRINITY ROAD Former Royal Victoria Patriotic School

(Formerly listed as Spencer Park Secondary Modern School (formerly listed as the former Royal Victoria Patriotic Asylum) gateway and Chapel)



Formerly school of Royal Victoria Patriotic Asylum. 1857-9. Rhode Hawkins, architect. Converted into art space and offices, 1987.

The school consists of regular three-storey rectangular ranges round two open courts divided by a central hall, plus a service court to the east surrounded by a single-storey range with former kitchen (now theatre space) on south side.

Yellow brick with Yorkshire stone dressings. Slate roofs of high pitch. Mullioned and transomed windows with metal frames. Oriel window with bands of naturalistic carving at the base at north west corner. Scottish baronial style with Jacobean and French elements, five towers with pyramidal roofs and many corner tourelles. Ornamental timber fleches over roof of hall and former kitchen.

Main front faces west and has central and corner towers, the former having a three-storey stone frontispiece culminating in a figure of St George and the Dragon in ornamental niche.

Side elevations, with square pyramidal roofed towers as accents on north and south sides. Ranges round service wing simpler, with some toplighting.

Interior generally now quite simple. Symmetrical plan with enclosed cloister walks of one storey with open timber roofs round courts. Two main stairs. The main hall has wallplate carved with foliage beneath a tripartite boarded roof paned with emblems of countries and towns of Britain and the Empire, painted by J.G Crace and restored 1987. Some good boarded roofs in other rooms. Open timber roof in kitchen survives above present temporary structure.

HISTORY. The Royal Victoria Patriotic Fund was endowed with money raised by appeal for the windows and orphans at the end of the Crimean War. These buildings were built for the girls' school, which opened in 1859 and moved out of London in 1938. A boys' school was added on a site to the north in 1872-3

Listing NGR: TQ2691974270

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 26934 74283


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065496 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 04:20:31.

End of official listing