THE KINGS HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1065499

Date first listed: 24-Jul-1981

Statutory Address: THE KINGS HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE, 84, UPPER TOOTING ROAD SW17

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE KINGS HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065499 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 09:54:19.

Location

Statutory Address: THE KINGS HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE, 84, UPPER TOOTING ROAD SW17

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Wandsworth (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 27777 72147

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2772 16/9

UPPER TOOTING ROAD SW17 No 84 (The Kings Head public house)

24.7.81

II 1896 by W M Brunton, a prolific designer of public houses. Perhaps his masterpiece and his least altered interior. Florid symmetrical composition; brashness of detail typical of late 19th century gin palace.

Red brick with stucco ornamentation. Slate roof.

Central portion three windows three-storeys, steep hipped roof rising to a dome. Large decorated lucarne over second floor windows, bears inscription "The Kings Head". First floor three pairs of French windows open on to verandah with iron balustrade and ogee roof. Ground floor splayed bay with entrance to bar. Flanking portion each side two-storeys plus mansard with pointed dormer behind balustrade. Wings each side 1 1/2-storeys, one window, ramped parapet pierced by a bull's-eye window on the left. Right wing a facade only; first floor window is blank with inscription "Rebuilt 1896".

Interior rich with cut brilliant glass, patterned tiles and wrought iron.

Listing NGR: TQ2777772147

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 207161

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing