CHURCH OF ST MARK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1065551

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARK, BATTERSEA RISE SW11

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065551 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 03:42:35.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARK, BATTERSEA RISE SW11

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Wandsworth (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 27214 75088

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BATTERSEA RISE SWll 1. 5033 TQ 2775 9/8 28.6.54 Church of St Mark II the Grade shall be amended to read Grade II* (star) and the description shall be amended to read as follows: Anglican church. 1872-4 by William White. Stock brick with red brick dressings and diaper over mass concrete core, tiled roof. Four-bay nave with north aisles, tower at south-west corner supporting wooden belfy and shingled broad-eaved broach spire; raised chancel and ambulatory over crypt. Gabled south porch leads into diminutive south transept. Internally, the four-bay nave arcade does not follow the pattern of the more regularly-spaced clerestorey above. Concrete piers with naturalistic stone-carved capitals by Harry Hems. Aisled windows, one with fragmentary stained glass, have marble sills. Chancel with apsidal sanctuary set within round brick piers of ambulatory. The spandrels of the ambulatory arcade gilded and painted with emblems. Tiled floor inset with panels by J R Clayton; choir stalls, pulpit and font (raised on tiled and stone stepped plinth) to White's designs. Altar on stone plinth behind low brass rails. At the east end the ambulatory descends to crypt, with octagonal brick piers and lierne brick vaults.

------------------------------------

BATTERSEA RISE SW11 1. 5033 Church of St Mark TQ 2775 9/8 28.6.54 II 2. 1873 to 76 William White. 13th Century Gothic-style. Yellow brick with red brick dressings and diaper. Tower at south-west, integral with west elevation, rises to corbelled upper stage supporting wooden belfry and shingled broad-eaved broach spire. Gabled south porch Interior: nave, north aisle, south transept, apsidal sanctuary with ambulatory. Sanctuary tiles by J R Clayton. Font of Devon marble.

Listing NGR: TQ2721475088

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 206989

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing