TQ 2373 SE
AUGUSTUS ROAD SW19
Church of St Paul
(Formerly listed under: Wimbledon Park Inner Park Road)
Church, 1888-1896 by Somers Clarke and J.T. Micklethwaite, glass and fittings by C.E. Kempe or his studio, 1892-1914. Red brick, tile roof stone dressings. Continuous nave and chancel, north aisle and Lady Chapel, south aisle, with organ chamber and vestry behind. North aisle in five bays, divided by brick stepped buttresses with stone offsets and copings. Four 4 -light windows with cusped Decorated tracery under simple stone hooodmoulds with plain stops, in brick soldier arches. Stone quoins. Brick parapet with stone coping, continuous moulded brick band returning to west front. North porch treated as main building, and set against buttresses. Pitched roof with moulded stone parapet. Entrance with brick reveals below multiple moulded brick arch. Continuous inner moulded stone arch. Above, three vertical slit openings. Pair of oak doors with brattished transom, elaborate iron door furniture. Inner doorway: moulded arch with roses and oak leaf stops. Brattished lintel. Doors, oak with glazed panels. Iron door furniture. 2-bay Lady Chapel and single sanctuary window. Similar south front, now linked to parish rooms. Single storey vestry at south east angle, set against two bay chancel with pair of 3-light windows. Slender facetted copper fleche on louvred timber bell chamber between nave and chancel. Exterior bell over south aisle. West front: six-light window with cusped tracery, treated as aisle windows. Two-light cusped opening above. Flanking 3 - light aisle windows treated as chancel windows, and with glass formerly in chancel. Tall nave buttresses with stone offsets, angle buttresses to aisles. Plain east end with seven-light window set between offset buttresses. Small single opening above. Interior: 4 bay arcade of slender octagonal piers of Ham Hill Cornish stone, with further reduced bay at west end possibly intended as base of tower. Continuous nave and chancel wagon roof, chancel and sanctuary ceilings stencilled, 1920 -21 by studio of Kempe, to original design. Oak rood screen with rood cross, 1890's by Kempe, partly coloured 1957. Choir stall 1890's, coloured and gilded reredos 1907 (recoloured 1938), chancel panelling 1920 -21, all by Kempe. Pulpit with sounding board, 1898, Kempe, with later figure above, formerly set against screen, resited against north arcade. Lady Chapel of two bays: reredos in form of a triptych, credence table and central kneeler, 1923 by Kempe and Co. replacing earlier more modest altar. Font, possibly by Kempe: octagonal marble base on embellished shafts with quatrefoil panels. Later canopy with traceried panels possibly Kempe. Lectern 1907. Arts and Crafts inspired pews designed 1930's by Henry Cornford, installed 1930's - 1960's. Glass: all ten stained glass windows by Kempe or his studio. West window, to the the Virgin Mary, 1898; flanking aisle windows 1890's, formerly in chancel resited 1949. East window, Crucifixion and Ascension, 1893, bears triple wheatsheaf signature of Kempe, and ATE for Alfred Tombleson, his designer and later manager. South chancel window. North chancel windows, installed after 1913, the Fall and Expulsion of Adam and Eve. South aisle window, 1898. Lady Chapel windows, 1901 (east), 1908 (west) shepherds' window, with signature of tower and wheatsheaf (Walter Tower). Organ 1892, by W. Hill and Son.
Cherry and Pevsner, Buildings of England London :2 South, 1983, p.682
Simon, Elizabeth, Guide to St. Paul's Church , Wimbledon Park, 1998
Listing NGR: TQ2389873076