Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065672 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 09:44:04.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
Sutton (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29621 65302


1. 4450 CHURCH ROAD (East Side) BEDDINGTON Beddington Place (Great Hall only) TQ 2965 SE 13/38 21.1.54. I GV 2. The Great Hall is usually ascribed by authorities (on the basis of a statement by Aubrey) to the reign of Elizabeth, but from its style and a statement by Fuller that it was rebuilt by Sir Nicholas Carew who died in 1559, it belongs to the period circa 1550. It is a remarkably fine apartment and resembles in a lesser vein and on a smaller scale, the Great Hall at Hampton Court which was built in 1530-35. Sir Francis Carew entertained Queen Elizabeth here for 3 days in 1599. The interior of the Great Hall (60 ft 8 ins x 52 ft 4 ins) is covered by an early C16 arch braced hammer-beam roof of 4 bays with similar trusses in the end walls. On the walls are (1) a trophy of Elizabethan arms and military engines in stone or plaster painted to look like bronze, and (2) at the opposite end a coloured achievement of arms in similar relief of Sir Nicholas Carew (d 1727) with the arms of his wife Elizabeth Hackett in pretence. The walls are lined with stained C19 panelling with crenellated top rails, which according to the Victoria County History covers an old fireplace. The floor is of white stone paving with black marble squares placed diagonally at the corners; probably circa 1709-10 when the alterations were made to the house; this has now been covered by modern parquet floors. The room to the South on each floor is constructed within the walls of the Tudor house and half a one-light stone window surround and its adjacent walling is said to be visible on opening a cupboard on the 1st floor. Some of the roofing over this is also old, but it is not of any real interest. The only other feature of interest is an early C18 bolection moulded marble fireplace surround in the South-West ground floor room, Formerly a wall tablet by H Weekes, ARA, to the Duke of Cambridge commissioned in 1850 by the Orphanage in his memory and brought from their earlier premises. It bears a profile bust portrait of the Duke and 2 profile full length portraits of girl orphans in uniform. C19 casing to Great Hall in a Gothic style in red brick with stone dressings and tile roofs. Main part of east elevation of 2 storeys, 6 bays, each bay separated by a buttress. Crenellated parapet. Tall 2-light Gothic windows above; below 2-light windows in rectangular frames. At either end a gabled projection of 2 storeys, 2 window bays. Casing to west front of Great Hall in similar style but with lean-to loggia against ground floor of hall; 2-light square headed glazed openings. 5 window bays with tall brick tower to centre bay; 2 tall windows above lst floor of tower; moulded band with gargoyles; gables over each face; clock in west face; bell-cote.

Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Lychgates, Churchyard Walls and wall along Church Lane, Orangery Wall, Beddington Place, gate and screen, Pigeon House, Nos 1 to 3 (consec) Beddington Park Cottages, premises occupied by Hockey Club and adjoining structure, East Lodge, wall south-west of Beddington Park Cottages and garden walls to north of Orangery and Beddington Place form a group.

Listing NGR: TQ2962265300


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00289/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Taverner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].