This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1065700



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Sutton

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 206678

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


THE BRANDRIES 1. 4430 BEDDINGTON Camden House TQ 3065 14/10 II 2. Formerly known as Brandries Hill House. Late C18. Camden House today appears similar to its appearance in mid C19 photographs except for some alterations to south front and for a present atmosphere of neglect. 3 storeys and basement. Brick construction cement rendered. Slate roof. In west return, balustraded panel between 2 tall flanking stacks. North-east front of 5 window bays. Ionic pilasters with scroll pattern capitals with paterae above ascend to 2nd floor level; plainer pilasters to 2nd floor. Mostly sash windows. Ground floor centre window with rounded archivolt and narrow pilasters. Pilastered projection of 1 storey and basement at east end with steps leading up to entrance from garden. Prostyle porch in west return. South front formerly with a delicate veranda. Interior not inspected; formerly said to contain several good Adams design fireplaces, 2 inch mahogany doors, good decorated ceiling in entrance hall, and original cornices to other ceilings. The only remaining house of this kind in an area bounded by Guy Road, Wandle Bank and Cedars Road which in C18 and C19 comprised several small gentlemen's estates. [See Brandries Hill House Sale Catalogues of 1882 and 1884; also "A History of Beddington" by The Rev Thomas Bentham].

Listing NGR: TQ3001865109

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bentham, T, A History of Beddington

National Grid Reference: TQ 30018 65109


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065700 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 07:52:56.

End of official listing