This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1065918



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Kirklees

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 422603

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


GREENFIELD ROAD 1. 5113 No 30 (formerly Wentworth SE 1316 33/1370 School)


2. Large detached house. 1882 or 3 for George Kirk, iron founder, with 1913 addition. Pitch faced stone with ashlar dressings. Hipped slate roofs with heavy moulded eaves, cornice on console brackets. 2 storeys. Entrance front has 6-panel door with etched glass and semi-circular fanlight. Carved surround, spandrels and keystone, and initials G K. Large consoles support balustrade over with urn to left and right. To right is 2-storey canted bay. Beyond this is 1913 addition comprising double arched porte-cochere with 8-light mullioned and transomed oriel bow window to first floor, with good carved ashlar work to base. The 3-bay garden front has 2-storey canted bay to left, as before, and French window and sash to right, both pedimented. Two sashes to first floor with architrave surround and small cornice on console brackets. Stone terrace and stone balustrade to entrance and garden fronts. Interior is virtually original and intact. Vestibule has mosaic floor. Entrance hall has tiled marble floor and elaborate plaster cornice and embossed frieze, fireplace with tiled surround, wooden staircase with turned balusters and panelled dado. The former dining room has embossed frieze and ornate plaster cornice and centre piece, with gas-light fittings, fitted bookshelves and show case and ornate carved wooden fire surround with large mirror. Carved screen in bay window. Panelled dado may be contemporary with 1913 work. Carved screen on landing with 2 oval and 4 round lights with painted glass, forms entrance to 1913 billiard hall, with oak panelling, stone arched fireplace and ornate plaster ceiling with centre light. Washroom has pump action WCs and twin marble basin. In servants quarters are fitted cupboards, copper lined and stone sinks and 12 bell rings. Listed as good and complete example of its type.

Listing NGR: SE1359416678

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 13594 16678


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065918 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 02:01:14.

End of official listing