Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065936 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 03:42:25.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 22284 10020


WESTWELL SP21SW The Old Rectory 1/307 12.9.55 GV II*

Parsonage house. c.1700, extended c.1847 and later. The older front is in freestone the newer in cut and squared rubble; wooden modillion eaves cornice; hipped Cotswold stone roof. Residual cross-passage plan from pre - 1700 house. L-shaped; the taller right hand gabled wing is an addition, it dates from c.1847 and matches the c.1700 block in details to front. Large ashlar off-ridge chimneys. 2 storeys and attics, chamfered quoins 2:1 hipped dormers with leaded lights. 5:1 windows with bull-nose cills, moulded architraves and cross mullions with edge hollow chamfers, some indication that the central ground floor window may have been a doorway. Arched doorway to right of main block with panelled piers to brackets, moulded imposts and arched fanlight with triple keystone, panelled door. Return to north in rubble with flat-arched glazing-bar sashes. South return has a 2-storey 2-bay mid-C19 extension. Rear irregular with various C20 additions and a shallow gable over the stairs. Interior: the c.1700 block was extended to north by the present kitchen wing which apparently in c.1847 replaced a timber-framed structure; at the same time it was extended to west with a corridor and stair-hall linking with the S.W. wing and giving access to the S.E. room; this appears to incorporate what may have been an earlier stair-turret (see concealed plaster behind present buttress) but its position behind the main c.1700 chimney stack may have rendered communication difficult for stairs. The alternative position would be in the present wide cross-passage. The S.E. room has raised and fielded c.1700 panelling and a moulded stone fireplace with flattened bolection moulding; overmantal framed by pilasters with Greek-fret ornament. Adjacent room has re-used C17 panelling (reputed not very believably to have been made from the old horse-box pews of the church when they were stripped out in 1869); similar fireplace to S.W. room. Roof structure interesting: it appears to be made up of older timbers, square ridge. In the centre part the ridge is massive and partially supported by a brace from the collar of the central truss. The presumed development could therefore be a timber-framed house one side of which was upgraded c.1700 to a proper Parsonage house,perhaps leaving the stairs in the surviving portion. The latter is known to have been cleared c.1847 and replaced by the present north wing, at the same time the stair corridor was added at the west, perhaps re-using an earlier rear wing.

Listing NGR: SP2228610020


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].