MANOR COURT COTTAGE RECTORY FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1065959

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: MANOR COURT COTTAGE, NORTH SIDE

Statutory Address: RECTORY FARMHOUSE, NORTH SIDE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR COURT COTTAGE
RECTORY FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065959 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 01:27:47.

Location

Statutory Address: MANOR COURT COTTAGE, NORTH SIDE

Statutory Address: RECTORY FARMHOUSE, NORTH SIDE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell (District Authority)

Parish: Steeple Aston

National Grid Reference: SP 47593 26012

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STEEPLE ASTON NORTH SIDE SP4726, SP4725 (South side) 8/116, 9/116 Rectory Farmhouse and Manor 08/12/55 Court Cottage (Formerly listed as Rectory Farmhouse) GV II

Manor house, now farmhouse and house. Probably c.1400 and early C17, altered C19 and extended C20. Coursed limestone and marlstone with wooden and rendered lintels; Stonesfield-slate and artificial stone-slate roofs with brick stacks. L plan incorporating an open-hall range, extended to U plan. 2 storeys plus attic. 3-unit main range, forming one arm of the U plan, has an outward-facing front in partly-banded squared rubble showing numerous early alterations; the 6-panel door is set to left of centre in a C19 wooden porch, and the 2- and 3-light windows all have C20 casements below rendered brick flat arches. Roof has stacks to both gables and to right of centre, and has 2 hipped C20 roof dormers. Right end of range rebuilt C20. Hall range, returning from the left end has renewed casements with wooden lintels facing the courtyard, plus a secondary entrance and a blocked doorway with a chamfered limestone-ashlar surround; left side has C19 casements of one and 2 lights, some with chamfered lintels. Rear range, probably added early C17, and formerly of one unit attached only at the corner, has now been much altered and extended to left to form Manor Court Cottage; openings all have C20 casements but the roof has Stonesfield slates. Interior: Main range has heavy chamfered spine beams (in one room with heavy flat late-medieval joists to one side, and heavy stop-chamfered joists on the other spanning into a lateral beam) and has a fine stone 4-centre arched fireplace with recessed spandrels and flanking Tuscan half columns. Hall range retains one truss of the original roof of c.1400 which was probably of raised-cruck form with hollow-chamfered arched bracing to the collar; one foot appears to have been cut away; some smoke-blackened purlins and heavy curved winbraces remain in the roof space. The structure has affinities with the contemporary roof of the Tithe Barn at Manor Farm, Upper Heyford (q.v.). Manor Court Cottage retains a large inglenook fireplace, and heavy stop-chamfered spine beans with chamfered joists; also 2 re-set doorheads one from a C14 trefoil-headed door. (VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p28)

Listing NGR: SP4759326012

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 422546

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 28

End of official listing