This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1065972

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, PADDINGTON GREEN W2

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 422571

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2682 NE CITY OF WESTMINSTER PADDINGTON GREEN, W2 41/1 (west side) 25.9.51 Church of St Mary. GV II* Church 1788-91 by John Plawwith C19 alterations and restoration of 1972 by Raymond Erith. Yellow-brown brick with ashlar dressings. Slate roof, lead roof to cupola. Greek cross plan, the central square surmounted by cupola with lower, narrower arms. Principal entrance to south arm of cross treated as Doric portico with attached columns distyle in antis with pediment to gable end. Flight of four steps to panelled double-leaf doors in architrave with hood on consoles. Bowed tetrastyle Tuscan porch to west cross arm with thermal window above. Venetian window in round-arched recess to east side. To north side a round-arched recess contains a thermal window with a 4-light pilastered window in segmental surround below. Pediments to gable ends. Return walls have niches and square blind panels above. To central block, two levels of small-paned windows with leaded lights under gauged brick arches. Ashlar frieze and cornice. Hipped roof. Octagonal cupola with paired columns to angles. Interior: galleries on three sides supported on columns. Segmental vaults and shallow dome. Original font, pulpit, altar and altar rail.

Listing NGR: TQ2669881748

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 26698 81748

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065972 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 04:21:55.

End of official listing