This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1065979



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Barwick in Elmet and Scholes

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 422504

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BARWICK IN ELMET AND SCHOLES MAIN STREET SE3937 LS15 (east side, off), Barwick 17/23 The Old Rectory 3.2.67


Rectory now house. Late C17, but before 1695 for the Reverend Jordan Tancred, early C19 alteration. Rendered brick, Westmorland green slate roof. Double-depth. 2 storeys and attics. 5-bay facade, symmetrical originally. Garden front: rusticated quoins. Central doorway, perhaps a window originally. 1st and 2nd ground-floor bays altered with C19 canted bay window. All other bays have sash windows with projecting sills and flush-wood architraves. Moulded gutter brackets. 2-span hipped roof with 2 original small dormers with hipped roofs and 4-pane sashes. 2 end stacks (reduced in height), that to right embraced by small gable and has lower ridge connected to slope of hip. Attached to right and left are later additions not of special interest. Rear, fronting yard, forms entrance front: fenestration as front; added early C19 square porch, doorway with astragal glazed overlight; frieze, casement-moulded cornice and blocking course.

Interior: rear doorway opens into wide stair-hall with 2 facing doorways with architraves, panelled inner surrounds and 6-panel doors with raised-and-fielded panels. To left, at right angles, doorway with glazed fanlight and dentil impost in architrave with false keystone. Facing this door dog-leg closed-string staircase of fine quality: oak moulded handrail, square newels and finely-turned chunky balusters of iron-twist surmounted by vase-shaped baluster; panelled dado with raised-and-fielded panels. Dining-room has dentil cornice to ceiling and C19 panelled window shutters. The attics have steeply-pitched roofs with principal rafter trusses with high collars and diamond-set ridge pieces.

The best example of a Queen-Anne house within the parish. Thoresby tells us that the "Reverend Mr. Jordan Tancred the present Rector (of the Church of All Saints, Barwick (q.v.)), and Chaplain of his Grace the Duke of Leeds, is now building here a stately house for himself and his successors". Tancred died 7th June 1695 so the house must be before this. He was succeeded by George Flaxton who resided at the Rectory from 9th September 1703.

Ralph Thoresby, Ducatus Leodiensis, (1715) p234.

Listing NGR: SE3997237329

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Thoresby, R , Ducatus Leodiensis, (1715), 234

National Grid Reference: SE 39972 37329


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065979 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 06:49:03.

End of official listing