THE CHANTRY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1066030

Date first listed: 28-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: THE CHANTRY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CHANTRY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1066030 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 11:29:00.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CHANTRY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Martock

National Grid Reference: ST 46206 19170

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The Chantry, Church Street. 12/191 9/191

------------------------------------

The Chantry, Church Street. 12/191 9/191

------------------------------------ ST4619 MARTOCK CP CHURCH STREET (East side)

12/191 The Chantry

-

GV II*

Cottage behind shop, probably more than one originally. C14 and C17 mostly. Ham stone near-ashlar; plain clay tiled roofs with coped gables, one section with stone slate base courses; brick chimney stacks. Two storeys, 4-bay south west elevation, of which bay 1 is the Pharmacy (q.v). Hollow chamfered mullioned windows bays 2 and 3, all 3-light except lower bay 2, which is 2-light; to left of lower bay 2 a 4-pane sash window; projecting between bays 2 and 3 a gabled single-storey extension with 2-light hollow-chamfer mullioned window in the north-west wall: to upper bay 4 an ovolo-mould mullioned window of 4 lights, the centre mullion now removed. The north-east wall has a variety of windows, including two 3-light hollow chafer windows, one in lower bay 1 in C17 style, that to upper bay 4 smaller and possibly medieval. Inside a variety of historical detail, including a pointed arch doorway with Norman details which would be no later than 1325, and a medieval roof frame with cambered collar and curved braces, the centre truss having a lower kingpost; in the north-east gable is a C17 fireplace, flat arched with ovolo-mould and wave-mould surround; a variety of C17 and C18 doors; the staircase probably c1800. This house has been identified as that which was the residence of the chaplain of a chantry established by John de Soy in Martock Church in l325; it passed to Sherborne School in 1550. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).



Listing NGR: ST4620619170

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 422281

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

End of official listing