New Government Offices (HM Treasury) and archway link with Foreign Office at east end of King Charles Street

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1066103
Date first listed:
05-Feb-1970
Statutory Address:
New Government Offices (HM Treasury) and archway link with Foreign Office at east end of King Charles Street, Whitehall SW1
Statutory Address:
New Government Offices and archway link with Foreign Office at east end of King Charles Street, King Charles Street SW1
Statutory Address:
New Government Offices and archway link with Foreign Office at east end of King Charles Street, Parliament Square SW1

Map

Ordnance survey map of New Government Offices (HM Treasury) and archway link with Foreign Office at east end of King Charles Street
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1066103 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jul-2019 at 21:23:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
New Government Offices (HM Treasury) and archway link with Foreign Office at east end of King Charles Street, Whitehall SW1
Statutory Address:
New Government Offices and archway link with Foreign Office at east end of King Charles Street, King Charles Street SW1
Statutory Address:
New Government Offices and archway link with Foreign Office at east end of King Charles Street, Parliament Square SW1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29956 79753

Details

TQ 2979 NE and 3079 NW 91/6 and 92/28

CITY OF WESTMINSTER WHITEHALL SW1 (West side) New Government Offices (HM Treasury) and archway link with Foreign Office at east end of King Charles Street

5.2.70

GV II* Government offices. 1898-1901 by John Brydon, completed with modifications in 1912 by the government architect Sir Henry Tanner. Portland stone with leaded and slate roofs A massive, quadrangular, English Baroque revival building extending through to St. James's Park with central, vast, circular courtyard (echoing the Jones-Webb Whitehall Palace scheme) entered by triple archways from side streets on same axis as the archways to Foreign Office.

Four storeys, with rusticated ground floor and mezzanine on basement and two upper storeys articulated by engaged Corinthian column order, and angle pavilions with belvedere storeys or three tier Baroque cupolas. Symmetrical facade; 17 windows wide to Whitehall, including one window angle pavilions and five-bay centrepiece with tetrastyle pedimented portico centre break; 33-window range to Parliament Square and Great George Street with angle pavilions and recessed, nine window wide, centre with tetrastyle portico over triple archway flanked by cupola-pavilions; four window extension and lower quadrant return to Park front. Semicircular arched portal to Whitehall (beneath portico) with flanking columns and pediment. Recessed glazing bar sashes in pilastered frames with alternating pediments on main second floor. Coupled columns to portico with carved pediment set against blind attic and coupled pilasters to angle pavilions surmounted by belvedere attics with inscribed, Vanbrughian, Venetian windows and coupled Ionic pilaster order. Tall entablature over mezzanine with blind balustrades to second floor windows; deep main entablature with modillion bracket cornice and balustraded parapets.

Parliament Square - Great George Street front has coupled column portico above triple archway with pediment set against attic which has oculi in flanking sections of the recessed centre; the three tier, Wren inspired cupolas, the flanking pavilions have diagonally set rusticated columns to their main stages; the long ranges between the angle pavilions are not articulated by the Corinthian order on their upper floors but have the alternating pedimented second floor windows, two of them as Venetian windows with carved festoon and "linge" enrichments to the windows above; the Corinthian order reappears in the four-window west extension.

The Park front resembles that to Whitehall but with three storey quadrant corners in place of angle pavilions; they have engaged Ionic colonnades and echo Scott's adjoining Foreign Office. At the east end of King Charles Street is a triple archway (contains passage-way link in its attic to the Foreign Office) with engaged Doric columns and large scale figure sculpture enrichment by J. R Mountfield. Balustraded parapet to basement area, extended out to Storey's Gate, to link with small stone kiosk and terminating in large corniced pier crowned by an urn. The main circular courtyard has arcaded ground floor and an engaged Corinthian order above. The interior has a large, double branching grand staircase; the reinforced concrete basement at the Park end contains the "War Rooms", Sir Winston Churchill's flat and office "bunker" during World War II.

Architectural Review; vol 24, 1908 and vol 28, 1910.

Listing NGR: TQ2995679753

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
207602
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Architectural Review' in Architectural Review, , Vol. 28, (1910)
'Architectural Review' in Architectural Review, , Vol. 24, (1908)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/13807/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].