GWYDYR HOUSE (WELSH OFFICE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1066107
Date first listed:
05-Feb-1970
Statutory Address:
GWYDYR HOUSE (WELSH OFFICE), WHITEHALL SW1

Map

Ordnance survey map of GWYDYR HOUSE (WELSH OFFICE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1066107 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jul-2019 at 04:07:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
GWYDYR HOUSE (WELSH OFFICE), WHITEHALL SW1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30172 80021

Details

TQ 3080 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER WHITEHALL SW1 83/85 (East side) 5.2.70 Gwydyr House (Welsh Office) GV II* Town mansion, now offices. c.1772,by Thomas Lunton(?) and also questionably attributed to John Marquand; attic storey an addition of 1886. Brown brick with sparse stone dressings. Well proportioned plain astylar Palladian elevation. 3 storeys and attic storey, on basement. 5 windows wide. Central entrance, approached by steps, with panelled door and side lights in tripartite frame of engaged Roman Doric columns supporting entablature and 1st floor Venetian window with Ionic columns and balustrading below sill - the whole forming a stone dressed centrepiece. Recessed glazing bar sashes under flat gauged arches. Plat bands to ground and 1st floors; modillion cornice over 2nd floor and cornice and blocking course to attic storey. Wrought iron railings with link extinguishers and wrought iron scrollwork overthrow lampholder. Interior retains some of original features, plasterwork, doorcases, fine statuary marble chimneypieces and stone geometrical staircase with delicate wrought iron balustrade; etc. Survey of London; vol XIII

Listing NGR: TQ3017280021

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
207612
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in The Parish of St Margaret Westminster Part 2 Neighbourhood of Whitehall Volume 1: Volume 13 , , Vol. 13, (1930)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05559/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stephen Hodgson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].