CAVELL HOUSE NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1066286
Date first listed:
08-Jun-1982
Statutory Address:
CAVELL HOUSE, 2A, CHARING CROSS ROAD WC2
Statutory Address:
NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, 10, ST MARTIN'S PLACE WC2

Map

Ordnance survey map of CAVELL HOUSE
NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1066286 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 17:26:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CAVELL HOUSE, 2A, CHARING CROSS ROAD WC2
Statutory Address:
NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, 10, ST MARTIN'S PLACE WC2

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30041 80641

Details

TQ 3080 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER CHARING CROSS ROAD, WC2 72/115 (east side)

8.6.82 No 2A - Cavell House (including No 10 St Martin's Place - National Westminster Bank)

GV II

Former Westminster City Council Offices and bank on St Martin's Place. 1890 by Robert Walker, enlarged 1902 by A W Murray. Portland stone faced, slate roof. Plan follows curve of street with free classical facade for offices and rather more Baroque detail for the 1902 bank extension. 3 storeys and attic. 19 windows wide in the rhythm 5:1:7:1:5 with canted corner to St Martin's Lane and 4-window return. Segmental arched entrance to offices in northern single bay flanked by pilasters with Westminster City arms over arch and balcony above. Bowed out corner entrance to bank with foliage carved lunette. The plate glass ground floor windows of the offices are articulated by rusticated pilasters whilst the 5 ground floor bays of the bank are rusticated with semi-circular arched, mask keystoned windows. Architraved windows to upper floors those on 1st floor eared with pediments over. The shallow break of the central 7-window section articulated through 1st and 2nd floors by Corinthian pilasters; the single bays flanked by rusticated pilasters with pediments breaking the balustraded parapet in line with them. Entablatures above ground and 2nd floors. Included for group interest on prominent corner site.

Survey of London; Vol XX.

Listing NGR: TQ3004180641

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
209096
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Trafalgar Square and neighbourhood The Parish of St Martin-in-the-Fields Part 3: Volume 20 , , Vol. 20, (1979)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]istoricEngland.org.uk.