CHURCH OF THE ANNUCIATION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1066358

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE ANNUCIATION, BRYANSTON STREET W1

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE ANNUCIATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1066358 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 15:24:19.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE ANNUCIATION, BRYANSTON STREET W1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 27873 81105

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2781 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER BRYANSTON STREET, W1 54/79 10.9.54 Church of the Annunciation

G.V. II*

Church. 1912-13, by Sir Walter Tapper. Red brick with stone dressings, slate roof. Late Gothic Revival with strong vertical emphasis; bold simplicity in balance of blind wall place to windows and restrained use of carved ornament. Hall nave and chancel of 8 bays with north aisle. The south Bryanston Street front has 2 storey stone faced porch at west end with figure sculpture in niches above shafted jamb portal. The porch projects level with the bold gabled buttresses dividing the 8 bays which are blind up to the tall clerestory lit by 4-light reticulated tracery windows; parapet with weathered coping. The east gable end to Old Quebec Street is flanked by similar buttresses with 2 buttresses under large east window of individual, crisply carved, reticulated tracery pattern; above the aisle parapet a flying buttress springs from right hand gabled bell tower with vestry entrance at its foot. Railings to street run between buttress piers with gable caps. Steep pitched roof with slender, copper-clad fleche with gablets to centre of ridge. Vaulted interior has lofty, slender shafted arcade and triforium on north side; gilt altar by Bewsey.

Listing NGR: TQ2787381105

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 208886

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing