Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1066593

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Statutory Address: CUTTLE MILL


Ordnance survey map of CUTTLE MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1066593 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 21:58:54.


Statutory Address: CUTTLE MILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell (District Authority)

Parish: Steeple Aston

National Grid Reference: SP 48011 25114


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


STEEPLE ASTON SP42NE 2/96 Cuttle Mill 08/12/55 GV II*

Watermill and millhouse, now house. Late C17/early C18, altered c.1738 by William Kent. Coursed squared marlstone with wooden lintels; Stonesfield-slate roof with stone and brick stacks. 3-unit plan plus mill in a single range, with a short added wing in Gothick style. 2 storeys. 4-window front of main range has the entrance in bay 2 with flanking 3-light casements, and at first floor has casements of 2, 2, 3 and 2 lights; bay 4 has a second inserted entrance and a 2-light casement adjoining the projecting wing. Range extends slightly beyond the wing with a further tall opening, now a window. Stepped gable of wing has crocketed corner pinnacles plus 2 intermediate re-set pinnacles, and contains a quatrefoil window above a tall ogee-headed window below which is a rebuilt stone stair; rubble flying buttresses flanking the gable wall are now topped by large rubble pinnacles, but originally carried the 2 crocketed pinnacles re-set on the gable. Roof of main range has a brick stack to the left gable, plus a large central stone stack. Interior: open fireplace; stop-chamfered beam. Re-modelled by Kent to form "The Temple of the Mill" in the principal view from Rousham Park; one of the earliest examples of a picturesque eyecatcher. (Rousham Park is included in the H.B.M.C. Register of Parks and Gardens at Grade I; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p745; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p38; M. Jourdain, The Work of William Kent, 1948, p81)

Listing NGR: SP4801125114


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 422385

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Jourdain, M , The Work of William Kent, (1948), 81
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 745
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 38
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

End of official listing