ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST JAMES (SPANISH PLACE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1066777
Date first listed:
10-Sep-1954
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST JAMES (SPANISH PLACE), GEORGE STREET W1
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST JAMES (SPANISH PLACE), SPANISH PLACE W1

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST JAMES (SPANISH PLACE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1066777 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jun-2019 at 04:19:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST JAMES (SPANISH PLACE), GEORGE STREET W1
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST JAMES (SPANISH PLACE), SPANISH PLACE W1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28280 81539

Details

TQ 2881 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER GEORGE STREET, W1 44/44 (north side) 10.9.54 Church of St James (spanish Place) (RC) GV II* church, 1885-90 by Edward Goldie. Kentish rag with ashlar dressings and stone vaulted interior; slate roof. Nave, aisles and narrow outer aisles, non-projecting transepts, apsidal chancel and north Lady chapel. Ambitious and highly serious Early English design. North and south porches; lower north chancel chapel as Lady Chapel; buttresses and flying buttressed clerestory. Lofty stone interior with 8-bay arcade with shafted piers; full gallery, bridged across transepts (in Pearson manner); quadripartite stone vaulting; the Lady Chapel also vaulted and both north aisles; the outer aisles have confessionals built into wall arcade. Rich furnish- ings by Bentley; reredos and hanging baldacchino by Garner.

Listing NGR: TQ2828081539

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
209781
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing