This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE PIAZZA, BEDFORD CHAMBERS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE PIAZZA, BEDFORD CHAMBERS

List entry Number: 1066948

Location

33, JAMES STREET WC2
THE PIAZZA, BEDFORD CHAMBERS, 1-8, COVENT GARDEN WC2

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 209333

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 3080 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER COVENT GARDEN, WC2 72/10 Nos 1 to 8 The Piazza, 24.2.58 Bedford Chambers (including No 33 James Street) G.V. II

Terraced houses with arcade. 1877-79 by Henry Clutton; rebuilding on a larger scale and with modified detail of Inigo Jones's original north west "piazza" block. Red brick with stone dressings, slate roof. The arcading faithful to the Jones-Isaac de Caus original but the upper floor and pilasters modified with attic storey added. 4 storeys plus dormers. Regular 8 window wide front with James Street return in rythm 1:3:1. Ground floor proper set back behind rusticated stone arcade (the "piazzas") carrying the facade, the arcade vaulted and shop fronts surmounted by mezzanines within the arches, doorways architraved with console bracketed cornices. 1st and 2nd floors have stone architraved sashes separated by rhythm of the channelled stone pilasters; attic storey windows in stone panelled strip frames. String course with plinth at 1st floor level over arcade; projecting bracketed main cornice over 2nd floor and frieze and cornice to attic. Oeil-de-boeuf dormers. James Street return generally similar but with centre piece of 3 Gibbs surround doorways surmounted by mezzanine windows below 1st floor balcony; outer bays with big arched entrances, that on left the return end of arcade to Covent Garden. This Clutton block is the sole if remodelled reminder of the original "piazzas" of Jones's 1631 square.

Survey of London; Vol. XXXVI. Covent Garden Market; Robert Thorne.

Listing NGR: TQ3030580929

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Thorne, R, Covent Garden Market
'Survey of London' in The Parish of St Paul Covent Garden: Volume 36, , Vol. 36, (1970)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30305 80929

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1066948 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 08:49:23.

End of official listing