This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TROCADERO

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TROCADERO

List entry Number: 1066950

Location

TROCADERO, 7-14, COVENTRY STREET WC1

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-May-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 209339

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2980 NE CITY OF WESTMIINSTER COVENTRY STREET, W1 71/70 Nos 7 to 14 (consec) 1.5.86 (part of Trocadero)

- II

Former Lyons Corner House. 1907 by W J Ancell for the corner block with Rupert Street; 1921-23 extension along Coventry Street by F J Mills. White glazed terracotta facing, slate roofs. Lively and crowded Free Baroque to the earlier corner block with simple classical features to the much larger scale Mills extension. Corner block of 4 main storeys. 2 windows wide each side of bowed corner. 1980s ground floor refacing in keeping, articulated by pilaster-piers. Tripartite windows, with consoles rising from those on 1st floor to support balconies of 2nd floor windows, have rusticated Ionic columns with broken seg- mental pediments to those in outer bays and to those in bowed corner, the cleft pediments framing the attic storey windows. Balustraded parapet and attic pavilions above the inner bays flanking the inset cupola over the corner which has columns supporting an 'onion' ribbed dome. The 1921-23 extension is of 4 tall storeys, 9 windows wide. Ground floor with 1980s central entrance and 2 large display windows flanked by original coupled Roman Doric columns, deep entablature. 1st and 2nd floors have windows grouped in 3 major bays with cen- tral window of each group on 1st floor set in large aedicule with enriched console-key breaking into pediment, articulated by pilasters and panelled piers. Square piered deep loggia to top floor beneath bold crowning cornice and parapet. Tall pediment-gable capped chimney stacks. Well-preserved example of the Lyons Corner House style. Survey of London; Vol XXXI.

Listing NGR: TQ2969180711

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in The Parish of St Paul Covent Garden: Volume 36, , Vol. 36, (1970)

National Grid Reference: TQ 29691 80711

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1066950 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 08:16:21.

End of official listing