This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

47, CONNAUGHT SQUARE W2

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 47, CONNAUGHT SQUARE W2

List entry Number: 1066978

Location

47, CONNAUGHT SQUARE W2

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Jan-1970

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 209317

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2781 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER CONNAUGHT SQUARE, W2 54/84 9.1.70 No. 47

G.V. II

Terrace house on south east corner of square and Stanhope Place. c.1828-30, probably by George Gutch. Brown brick with channelled stucco ground floor, concealed slate roof. 4 storeys and basement. 2 windows wide to Stanhope Place and 5-window north front to square and Seymour Street. Entrance in north front with semicircular arched doorway with inset Greek Doric columns, panelled door and fanlight. Recessed glazing bar sashes, some blind to north front, under flat gauged red brick arches to upper floors. Stucco plat band over ground floor and at 3rd floor level, crowning cornice and blocking course. Gothic patterned cast iron balcony to 1st floor. Cast iron, spear head, urn finialed area railings. Connaught Square is the earliest part of the development of Tyburnia, planned in 1827 by S.P. Cockerell for the Bishop of London's Estate, but laid out to modified plan by Cockerell's successor George Gutch.

"The History of Tyburnia"; G. Toplis; Country Life, 15, 22 Nov. 1973.

Listing NGR: TQ2757081036

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 22 November, (1973)
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1973)
'Country Life' in 15 November, (1973)

National Grid Reference: TQ 27570 81036

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1066978 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2018 at 07:50:04.

End of official listing