CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1067033

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067033 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 23:34:00.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry (District Authority)

Parish: Clipston

National Grid Reference: SP 71384 81565

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLIPSTON CHURCH LANE SP7081 (North side) 15/12 Church of All Saints 02/11/54

GV I

Church. Early C13, restored 1884-85. Regular lias and limestone with ashlar dressings and lead and tiled roofs. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Chancel of one-window range of 2-light square-headed windows. C19 three-light east window with cusped roundels in the tracery. Gabled roof has C20 plain tiles. South aisle and vestry of 4-window range with tall 3-light windows. Those at ends have square heads, that to right has Perpendicular tracery; the others have 4-centred and segmental heads. 3-light east and west windows. Priest door with C12 semi-circular arch head to right. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets. Porch between windows one and 2 from left has C14 chamfered arch and gabled roof with ashlar parapets and finial. North aisle restored C19 of 2-window range of 2-light windows; one with square head the other pointed. East and west windows similar of 2-lights. Octagonal chimney to north-east corner. Lean-to roof. C20 octagonal extension to north of north aisle. Nave clerestorey c.1470 of 3-window range of 2-light windows with 4-centred heads. West tower restored C19 of 3 stages. 2-light ogee headed window in west face of first stage. 2-light bell chamber openings to each face of third stage. 3 stage clasping buttresses. C19 polygonal stair turret to first and second stage on north side. Broach spire, ashlar limestone with 2 stages of lucarnes. Interior: C19 double chamfered chancel arch. 3-bay nave arcade of early C13 double chamfered pointed arches, with circular piers, circular abaci and keeled responds. C13 triple chamfered tower arch. Two C14 tomb recesses to north aisle and one to south. C19 roofs. Stained glass to 3 chancel windows. Monuments: North wall of chancel, George Buswell died 1632: frontal demi-figure with hands on upright book flanked by pilasters with plain entablature, dentilled cornice and broken pediment over. John Buswell died 1659 to left: white marble bust in oval wreathed niche with flanking pilasters and broken pediment over. Sir George Buswell died 1668: inscribed marble tablet with cherubs at base with broken pediment over with bust in the centre. East wall of south aisle, Eusebius Buswell died 1730: marble tablet with broken pediment over has heraldic device in centre. South wall of south aisle, Hester Buswell died 1706: urn with 2 standing puttii.North aisle east wall, Elizabeth Busweil died 1636: tombchest with frieze of macabre symbols. Inscribed brass plate on top. Various other C18 and C19 inscribed tablets in nave chancel and aisles. Datestone F.T. 1588 above chancel arch. Fonts: Circular column probably C12; also C19 font. Screens to south chapel and to west tower, fine Elizabethan with open low arches and carved panelling. Parish chest in vestry. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.154).

Listing NGR: SP7138481565

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 360265

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 154

End of official listing