Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067102.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:31:20.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Daventry (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 71009 73531



14/132 Church of All Saints 02/11/54 - I

Church. Late C13 with C18 alterations. Originally cruciform plan with west tower. Coursed limestone and lias rubble with ashlar dressings and lead roof. Chancel C13. East window of 2 lancets with moulded surrounds. South elevation of 2-window range of C18 2-light windows with Y-tracery. North elevation similar with tall lancet, part blocked. Shallow pitched roof with finial and moulded stone cornice. South transept C13 with 3 C18, two-light windows with Y-tracery. Gabled roof with ashlar parapet, with decorated string course and gargoyles. Nave C13: South elevation, of 2-window range with porch between 3- and 4-light C18 traceried windows. Gabled porch with 6-panelled double doors. North elevation similar with arcade to demolished north transept partially blocked and formed into a window with Y-tracery. Shallow pitched roof with castellated ashlar parapet. West tower late C13 of 3 stages with angle buttresses at corners. Narrow lancet in second stage. Pair of 2-light bell chamber windows in third stage with Y-tracery and moulded surrounds repeated on each face. Moulded corners to third stage. Castellated ashlar parapet with moulded pinnacles. Interior: Chancel: All windows have C13 shafts with capitals and moulded surrounds. Fine C15 shallow pitch king post roof. Chamfered chancel arch with truncated shafts and ogee headed squint to right. Navel Windows are similar to the chancel. Flat plaster ceiling with C18 painted cornice restored in 1960. Double chamfered tower arch. Plain chamfered arch to south transept with rood loft opening to loft. Perpendicular roof to south transept. C19 Stained glass to east windows, south east chancel window and north and south chancel lancets. The pulpit is C18 three decker with fielded panelling and single wooden shaft supporting tester with inlay decoration to underside and quarter turn stair with turned balusters. Family pew opposite with similar stair has fire- place with marble surround. C19 box pews in nave. The C18 wooden font cover in a hexagonal bowl on a pedistal. The communion rail, altar table and reredos screen are by Lord Mottistone 1956-60. Monuments: South transept, east wall, John Rede died 1604. Alabaster and marble recumbent effigy on half rolled mat with flat arch over and flanking columns with big cartouche under. Ten kneeling children at base. Spiked railings around. Centre of south transept, Sir John Langham and wife 1676 by Thomas Cartwright senior is of white and grey marble. Recumbent effigies on tomb chest with cartouches. Spiked railings around. South wall of chancel firs. Mary Langham died 1773 white marble tablet with urn by Moore. South wall of nave, Sir John Langham white tablet with female figure and 3 urns. North wall of nave Lady Langham died 1807 marble tabled with standing figure by Bacon Junior. Mariane Langham died 1809 and Lady Langham died 1810 also by Bacon, marble with draped urn and broken column respectively. South west corner of nave Sir William Langham died 1812 by Bacon, free standing marble urn, surmounted by foliage. The Church was restored by Lord Mottistone in 1959-60. (Buildings of England : Northamptonshire p.162).

Listing NGR: SP7100973531


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 162


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/03670/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Oxborough. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].