13, Little Underbank, Stockport, Greater Manchester, SK1 1LA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1067175
Date first listed:
10-Mar-1975
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Nov-2011
Statutory Address:
13, Little Underbank, Stockport, Greater Manchester, SK1 1LA

Map

Ordnance survey map of 13, Little Underbank, Stockport, Greater Manchester, SK1 1LA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067175 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 10:43:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
13, Little Underbank, Stockport, Greater Manchester, SK1 1LA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Stockport (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ8962990498

Summary

A mid C19 purpose-built commercial premises.

Reasons for Designation

* Architectural Interest: As a representative example of a purpose-built urban premises, built in the first half of C19 in a monumental character, with rusticated stone ground floor and archway with giant keystones. * Historic Interest: Incorporating a flight of steps linking the street, in a ravine, to the Market Place to the north so aiding circulation in a difficult terrain and predating St Petersgate Bridge, which was built to address this problem. * Group Value: No.13 forms a composition with the adjacent St Petersgate Bridge, which also has pedestrian steps, and Nos.1-25 (odd) form a group of urban commercial premises on one of Stockport's main streets.

History

No.13 Little Underbank was built in the mid C19 as a commercial premises. Little Underbank lies in the natural ravine of Tin Brook to the south side of the Market Place, which caused problems of access to the market. The building incorporated a steep flight of steps up from the street to the Market Place. A route up to the Market Place is shown in this position on a map of 1824 and the building and flight of steps are shown on the 1:1056 Ordnance Survey map of 1849.

Details

PLAN: Rectangular with passageway though building on right-hand side containing a flight of steps.

EXTERIOR: Three storeys with a flat roof; an upper storey was removed in the C20. The tall ground floor has a rusticated stone surround with three giant keystones and a late C20 shop front. To the right is a tall, rusticated arched opening with giant keystone and steps leading up through an integral passageway beneath the upper floors to the Market Place. It has an iron wall sign reading TO MARKET PLACE. On the first floor are three windows with continuous sill and lintel bands. The second floor has four windows with stone lintels and a continuous flush lintel band. The windows are two-over-two pane hung sashes. The steps have been restored. There are two windows facing onto the stairway and an arched opening towards the top.

The building is structurally distinct from the neighbouring St Petersgate Bridge with which it has group value.

INTERIOR: Not inspected.

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/11/2011

(Formerly listed as Nos 13 & 15)

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
210827
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/15236/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Hyde. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].