CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1067295
Date first listed:
31-May-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR, FOLD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067295 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 13:32:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR, FOLD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bolton (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 76441 05275

Details

KEARSLEY FOLD ROAD SD 70 NE (east side) Ringley

10/36 Church of 31/5/66 St. Saviour

G.V. II

Church. 1850-4. By Sharpe and Paley. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings; stone slate roof. Nave with aisles under lean-to roofs, chancel with south vestry. 5-bay nave has aisle windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights under multifoils; single-chamfered tracery. Clerestory has quatrefoil windows. North aisle has porch with segmental- pointed entrance; window to right of 3 pointed lights with uncarved corbels. West end has entrance under 3 tall 2- light traceried windows. To right an octagonal turret with gabled buttress; top stage has angle shafts and lancet openings, cornice and slate spire. Gabled buttress to left. 2-light plate tracery aisle windows. Entrance hood stops and buttress corbels are uncarved. Chancel has diagonal buttresses flanking stepped triple lancets; 3 lancets to north. Vestry has 2 lights and keyed roundel, the keys with letters AMDG, and entrance with shouldered lintel to east; straight-headed windows to south and west. Interior 5-bay nave arcades on round columns. Braced collar roof. Round font on chustered shafts. Arms of Charles I, dated 1637, above entrance. Wall memorials to Ellis Fletcher, died 1836 and Matthew Fletcher, died 1808, both have figure by urn on plinth with profile portrait. Chancel arch on corbelled shafts. Octagonal pulpit on shaft; symbols of evangelists. Rood on beam, 1928, has crucifixion and flanking figures. organ loft to south. East end has alabaster arcading with mosaic panels and ceramic tile figures, double piscina to north and 3 sedilia to south. Good C19 stained glass to east, C17 armorial glass to north. 2 early C19 wall memorials.

Listing NGR: SD7644105275

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
210517
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].