TOMB OF JOHN HARRISON AND FAMILY IN ST JOHNS CHURCHYARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1067359

Date first listed: 14-May-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Statutory Address: TOMB OF JOHN HARRISON AND FAMILY IN ST JOHNS CHURCHYARD, CHURCH ROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOMB OF JOHN HARRISON AND FAMILY IN ST JOHNS CHURCHYARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067359 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 03:37:25.

Location

Statutory Address: TOMB OF JOHN HARRISON AND FAMILY IN ST JOHNS CHURCHYARD, CHURCH ROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 26196 85601

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2685NW CHURCH ROW 798-1/26/244 Tomb of John Harrison and family in 14/05/74 St John's Churchyard (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH ROW Grave of John Harrison (St John's Churchyard))

GV II

Chest tomb above brick vault. c1776, restored. Marble. Rectangular plan on a stepped base. Fluted pilasters, set in from angles on each side, have paterae enriched capitals at level of fluted frieze; abacus and astragal continue around tomb as cornice and string. North side inscription gives a biography of John Harrison who invented the marine chronometer and to the memory of his wife. South side inscription a biography of his son William who tested his chronometers on sea voyages and helped his father in a long struggle to claim a ยป20,000 prize. Edge of top slab inscribed "Reconstructed at the expense of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers of the City of London 1879: William Parker, Master. Renewed and railings removed 1934".



Listing NGR: TQ2619685601

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 476969

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing