CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1067507
Date first listed:
02-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, BOLTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067507 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 01:27:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, BOLTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Salford (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 79549 00813

Details

SWINTON & PENDLEBURY BOLTON ROAD SD 70 SE (north-east side) 2/1 Church of St. John the - Evangelist - II

Church. 1842 with chancel added in 1854 and baptistry in 1882. Rock-faced stone with slate roof. Nave and chancel with west tower and porches on north and south. Neo- Romanesque. 6-bay nave with projecting plinth, shallow buttresses and a coped parapet above a corbel table. Each bay has a tall round-arched window with hoodmould. South porch is castellated whereas the north porch has a coped gable. At each end of the nave square piers with nook shafts and pyramidal caps rise above the parapet. Chancel has a 3- light east window. 3-stage tower with shallow angled buttresses, round-arched door, clock-faces in foiled surround and a belfry stage with nook shafts, 5 tall round- arched openings in each side and a shallow distinctive pyramidal roof above bold brackets. Adjacent to the tower is the semi-circular baptistry with conical roof. Interior: Romanesque detailing continues throughout. Alternating king and queen-post roof trusses have diagonally braced tie beams. Chevron enrichment to chancel arch. Painted chancel ceiling. Timber fittings include pews, stalls, pulpit and west gallery which sits on barleysugar-twist cast-iron columns with cushion capitals. Stone font. Stained glass.

Listing NGR: SD7954900813

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
211955
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05369/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Patrick Norris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].