PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1067774
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), CAPPELL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067774 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 01:41:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), CAPPELL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Stanstead Abbots
National Grid Reference:
TL 38682 12151

Details

TL 31NW STANSTEAD ABBOTS CAPPELL LANE (east side) Stanstead Abbots village 5/27 Parish Church of St Andrew (C of E) 24.1.67

GV II*

Church. 1881 by Alfred Waterhouse for T F Buxton of Easneye. Constituted the parish church in 1882. Faced with uncoursed knapped flint, white stone dressings and red tiled gabled roofs. Red brick inside. Cruciform plan with large square SW tower which serves as the porch. Angle buttresses and gable parapets with crosses. Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, 3-bay nave hammer beam roof, transepts, N-E vestry south-western porch and 3-stage embattled tower over, containing a clock and 4 bells given in 1905. Seating designed for 375 (Kelly (1914) 240). Semi octagonal stair projection on W side of tower.

Listing NGR: TL3868212151

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
355892
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Hertfordshire, (1914), 240

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01295/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].