This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GRAND UNION CANAL AYLESBURY ARM BRIDGE NUMBER 3 (WILSTONE BRIDGE) AND LOCK NUMBER 8 ADJOINING ON EAST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GRAND UNION CANAL AYLESBURY ARM BRIDGE NUMBER 3 (WILSTONE BRIDGE) AND LOCK NUMBER 8 ADJOINING ON EAST

List entry Number: 1067803

Location

GRAND UNION CANAL AYLESBURY ARM BRIDGE NUMBER 3 (WILSTONE BRIDGE) AND LOCK NUMBER 8 ADJOINING ON EAST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tring Rural

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-May-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 355764

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TRING RURAL GRAND UNION CANAL- SP 9014 AYLESBURY ARM 9/128 Bridge No. 3 - (Wilstone Bridge) and Lock No. 8 adjoining on East GV II Canal bridge and adjoining lock. 1811-13. Engineer Henry Provis for Grand Junction Canal Company. Bridge of red brick in English-bond with granite capping to piers terminating parapet. Lock of plum brick with brick and granite copings, timber gates, and cast iron domed bollards. A narrow hump-backed bridge carrying Tring Road over canal. Horseshoe arch with 9 inch arch-ring. Battered side-walls topped by raised band of 4 courses at roadway level and parapet walls with courses following the hump. Square projecting end piers terminate the outswept ends of the parapets. Repairs in buff brick where tow-ropes have cut into brickwork of arch next towpath. Little altered since arm opened in 1815. Narrow lock to take a single narrowboat has its lower end close to E side of bridge. Double gates to lower end with gate-paddles only. Single gate at upper end hinged on N side of lock. This end has ground paddles only, with gear set on timber posts. Stone edging extends about 8M to E of entrance. Dated cast iron hinge anchor plates (1866, 1866 at W:1854 at E) are probably re-used from elsewhere. (Branch Johnson(1970)118-9,122: Faulkner(1972)92).

Listing NGR: SP9047714406

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Branch Johnson, W , The Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire, (1970), 118-9 122
Faulkner, A H , The Grand Junction Canal, (1972), 92

National Grid Reference: SP 90477 14406

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067803 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2018 at 03:31:00.

End of official listing