KEN'S

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1067835

Date first listed: 11-Nov-2002

Statutory Address: KEN'S, 29, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of KEN'S
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067835 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 22:06:15.

Location

Statutory Address: KEN'S, 29, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Milton Keynes (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Newport Pagnell

National Grid Reference: SP 87733 43944

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWPORT PAGNELL

SP 8743 HIGH STREET 645/1/10019 29 11-NOV-02 (Ken's)

GV II



House, now commercial premises. C17 or earlier with later alterations, including early-C20 refronting for the International Stores. Timber-framed with later brick nogging; some stone; brick frontage to High Street. Roof of plain tiles to front range, slate to rear wing; brick stacks. One and a half storeys, 3 bays, with long rear wing of 2 builds and 2 storeys. EXTERIOR: High Street elevation: tall polished black marble shopfront, and a side-entry with a 6-panelled door. The upper floor has 3 narrow moulded brick panels. Steep roof with 2 dormers. At the rear, a short wing of stone on the east, extended by a long 2-storey wing, partly timber-framed and with a brick gable-end wall; a dormer on the east roof pitch; blocked windows in the gable end. INTERIOR: Front range ground floor has suspended C20 ceiling. Rear range has chamfered spine beam. The rear wing has a clasped purlin roof above cambered tie-beams, and long diagonal braces. HISTORY: In the mid-C18 this was a Coffee House, owned by Walter Beaty. It subsequently functioned as a public house, which had closed by 1862. In the early 1900's it became a branch of the early grocery chain, the International Stores, who re-fronted the property. Primarily listed for group value with adjacent buildings on High Street.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 489821

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing