Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067857.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:32:29.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Daventry (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 74916 76936


MAIDWELL DRAUGHTON ROAD SP77NW 6/107 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 02/11/54 (Formerly listed as Church of St. Mary)

- II*

Church. C12, C13. Chancel by J.P. St. Aubyn 1891. Squared coursed and regular coursed lias and limestone with ashlar dressings; plain tile roof. Nave chancel and west tower, Chancel of one-window range of double lancets. Triple lancet east window with small lancet above. Lean-to projections to north and south with single lancet to south. Gabled roof with ashlar parapet and finial. Nave; South elevation of 3-window range, 2-light window with cusped tracery to right. 2 lancets to left. Some herringbone coursing to south wall. Gabled porch between lancets probably C15 has double chamfered arch with 4-centred head. Banded limestone and lias to gable with ashlar parapets and finial. Small heraldic device above door. Inner door to nave has C12 single stepped round arch with no responds. North elevation of nave similar with vestry gabled projection between lancets having a 3-light window with 4-centred head. Gabled roof with ashlar cornice, abutment, parapet and finial. West tower C13, of 3 stages; setting back at each stage. Small west door with pointed head with 2-lighty square headed window above with armorial plaque, probably early C18 above. 2 stage clasping buttresses to first stage. Nook shafts at angles of second stage and single lancet on north, south and west faces. 2-light bell chamber openings c.1705 to each face, with inscriptions above on north and south faces. Plain parapet with carved plaque on south face. Interior: Chancel has double chamfered arches c.1891 to north and south projections. C13 double chamfered chancel arch and tower arch. All nave windows have shafts. Vestry has C12 door opening similar to south door. Stained glass: East window and all nave windows by Kempe 1892 to 1906. Monuments: In north chancel projection, Catherine Lady Gorges erected in 1634, 2 recumbent effigies with kneeling figures at head and feet probably reset; shallow coffered arch with cartouche and strapwork. Double broken pediment above supported on detached columns. North wall of nave. Cartouche to Haselwood family erected in 1695 by Elizabeth Viscountess Hatton, probably by William Stanton. South wall of nave, plain tablet to Ayshford Haselwood died 1675. Several other C18 white marble tablets. Font C18 baluster. 2 double pews with canopies at rear of nave of St. Catherine Draughton. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.301).

Listing NGR: SP7491676936


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 301


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/10835/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].