OLD CHURCH OF SAINT WERBURG

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1067865
Date first listed:
05-Mar-1959
Statutory Address:
OLD CHURCH OF SAINT WERBURG, WIGSEY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD CHURCH OF SAINT WERBURG
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067865 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 05:47:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD CHURCH OF SAINT WERBURG, WIGSEY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Trafford (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Warburton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 69694 89576

Details

SJ 68 NE WARBURTON WIGSEY LANE (north-west side)

5/194 Old Church of 5.3.59 Saint Werburg

G.V. I

Church, now redundant. Ancient structure mostly re- constructed in the second quarter of C17; north aisle late C16; west front and south aisle dated 1645, north transept late C16, chancel and vestry early C17, sanctuary and tower (at east end) 1711 on keystone. Ashlar sandstone, English garden wall bond brick except for chancel which is Flemish bond, timber internal frame, timber-framed north aisle and graduated Kerridge stone slate roof. Nave with aisles under same roof, and west door. South aisle has datestone over blocked door leading to former gallery; one 5-light and one 2- light double-chamfered mullion window with semi-circular heads and one 2-light chamfered window of a later date. Brick chancel aisle is roofed axially, built off a stone plinth and has a 3-light flat-faced mullion window. The square tower has 2 semi-circular brick arches at belfry level, stone eaves cornice and 6 sugar loaf pinnacles. Its east face has a semi-circular headed doorway with dated keystone and oval light above. West end has 4 buttresses little higher than the projecting stone plinth. The central studded and cross-battened door has a chamfered semi- circular head and 3-light window above (as above). North aisle of 2 bays, close studded with middle rail with plaster infill on a stone plinth each with a 3 or 4-light timber mullioned leaded light and a blocked doorway (formerly to gallery) in bay 3 with semi-circular head and carved responds. Chancel projects slightly with coped gable and kneelers and a 3-light east window. Interior: 2-bay nave in which massive arcade posts support a tie-beam truss and an arcade plate both with diagonal braces. Where the chancel meets the nave a group of 3 posts on the north and 4 on the south give evidence of various periods of construction/repair. 3-bay chancel has braced tie-beam truss with diagonal struts and 2 arch-braced collar trusses. Bell dated 1575. Octagonal font. inscribed "William Drinkwater the Keeper 1603". Jacobean pulpit, altar 1645 and C17 turned-baluster altar rail which was adapted to accommodate the choir seats in 1857. Box pews 1813. Stained glass east window by Wailes, and Minton sanctuary floor tiles both 1857. Sarcophagus maybe C12. Reverend G. E. Warburton, Warburton Old Church. Raymond Richards, Old Cheshire Churches, 1973.

Listing NGR: SJ6969589575

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
212951
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Richards, R, Old Cheshire Churches, (1973)
Warburton, G E, Warburton Old Church

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Dec 2000
Reference: IOE01/01336/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Barrie S. Dixon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].